Monael

Me? Gluten Intolerant?

Rate this topic

I am really just blown away. I have had issues for many years and have previously been diagnosed as IBS. Mainly bloating, diarrhea, steatorrhea, cramping, etc. Didn't really give it a second thought, as I have been living with it for so long I got used to the painful bathroom visits.

Recently, I wanted to shed some pounds and went on a diet that excluded a lot of carbs, including any type of bread or starch. It was on it for 2 weeks and noticed that I wasn't having the bathroom issues like usual. At first I didn't pay it too much mind. But the strangest thing happened. I went off the diet as I was really missing bread. Well I went back to the same IBS issues!

I had been on this diet before so when this happened the second time a little light bulb went off in my head... I think it was the bread/wheat!!

I have since decided to go gluten free, because if this will clear up my bathroom issues, I just don't even care if I get a proper diagnosis. I have been gluten free (at least as well as I can be at this stage as I still have a lot to learn) for a couple of days and my bathroom issues are already improving. I just don't even know what to say as I had no idea how harmful it could be.

Another side issue: I think this also explains why my scalp was always so itchy with little bumps that scabbed over from my scratching.

Same here, Monael, except my side issue was insomnia.

My hay fever has gone away since I went gluten-free. That's not a "diagnosis", but if it works, I'll take it.