This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Test Results.. I Need Vitamins

SadiesMomma

SadiesMomma Apprentice

Hi there Guys and Gals,

I got my blood test results back yesterday for the thyrois and what not. Apparently they look good. I am low on Protein, very low, but I am also a little low on Calcium and Iron. But okay to live I suppose. Im low on some other things but ok... My doctor recommend that I find a multivitamin that I can take.

I am allergic to lactose/dairy, soy, eggs, corn, wheat/gluten, nuts, soy, oats......

What is out there that I can have that doesnt have these???

I have looked online at caltrate and that looks like an ok one for Calcium... ANyone taken it? It is ok?

I have here at my house "Womens One-A-Day" multi vitamins.... It does not say anything on it for being gluten-free or what not but here are the ingredients:

Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium, Oide, Ascorbic Acis, Acacia, Ferrous Fumarate, cellulose, dL-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Corscarmellose Sodium, Zinc Oxide, Dextrin, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Niacinamide, Gelatin, Starch, d-Calcium Pathothenate, Calcium Silicate, Polythylene Glycol, Silicon Dioxide, Dextrose, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Lechtin, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Acetate, Resin, Folic Acid, Beta Carotene, FD&C Yellow #5 Lake, FD&C Yellow #6 Lake, FD&C #2 Blue Lake, Cholecalciferol, Cyanocobalamin

****Soemone was talking saying that Lechtin came from soy..... Im allergic to Soy so does that mean I cant have this?

Oooh Also I have Total HealthMega II Daily which is a "multivitamin with chelated minerals." On it it says "no corn, salt, yeast, wheat, milk, & egg products, sugar, starch or preservatives.

The "other ingredients" of this one are:

Alfalfa, watercress, rosehips, parsley, rice polish, lechtin, preservative free vegetable cellulose

.... Can I have this with my allergies?

Sorry it is sooo long. Id love anyones input though. I need help and I havent been referred to a dietition yet..... Pleease help!

THANKS SOOO MUCH!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lauradawn Explorer

Hey Heather, Im new to the gluten-free thing, but I have a supplement that I get from GNC. General Nutrition Center. Their web site is Lame Advertisement ........

I take the Womens Ultra Mega. It's just a daily vitamin. It has no artificial flavors, no artificial colors, no preservatives, no sodium, no wheat, no gluten, no soy, no dairy, and no yeast.

If your interested maybe their web site will tell you more. If you want more info on the ingredients I can list them for you.

Hopefully that will help you! :D

SadiesMomma Apprentice

Hi there...

it was really sweet of you to inform me of that multi-vitamin at the GNC website..

Open Original Shared Link

I did a little research and realized that it not one for me. It has soy powder in it... Weird though... in the allergy label it says "No Soy" but right in the ingredients it states "soy powder"... Are they the same thing?

Anyway.. thanks a ton!!!

gf4life Enthusiast

Hi Heather,

I have some of the same intolerances/allergies that you have. I can't have gluten, dairy, or soy, and possibly yeast. I have to say that I have not had any nutritional deficiency tests, since my doctor won't believe I have celiac disease, but I feel I need extra magnesium and calcium and a multi vitamin probably would not hurt. Well I have never done well on vitamins and finding one that is gluten/dairy/soy free is a bit of a challenge. I settled on Freeda's Children's Chewable Vitalets (Raspberry flavor). I prefer children's vitamins, since I can take one tablet when I need a little boost, but I can take two if I feel I need a big boost. Regular adult vitamins are too harsh on my system,

Freeda's says on the jar:

No Gluten, No Lactose, No Artifical Color, No Artificial Flavor, No Animal Derivatives, No Sugar or Starch, No Gelatin, No Yeast.

The other ingredients are:

Mannitol, sorbitol, cellulose, glycine, calcium stearate, natural flavors, citric acid, silica.

I don't know for sure if any of those contain anything made from your other allergens, but I don't think they do. They taste okay, but not great. You might want to check Freeda's other vitamins. Also Centrum are gluten-free, you could check if they are okay for you. There is a topic on gluten free vitamins and that would probably be a good place to start. Then go through those brands listed as gluten-free and eliminate the ones that contain your allergens. Here is a link to that topic.

Open Original Shared Link

And yes lecithin is usually from soy, and soy powder is also (obviously) soy. It was probably a misprint on the "Free of" labeling. Just another reminder that we need to take the gluten-free labeling not as a guarantee, but as a suggestion and still read the ingredients everytime.

God bless,

Mariann :)

SadiesMomma Apprentice

Thanks so much Marianne,

I think those actually will do... Doesnt seem to look like there is anything as far as I know that is going to make me sick. I guess we can always try. :)

Thanks!

Archived