This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Getting Tested Soon

Jaymes805

Jaymes805 Newbie

Hi All! I'm new to the forum. Should have joined a long time ago but also should have figured out I might have Celiac disease a long time ago too but better late than never.

Growing up, I've always been one to get sick often. When I was little, I went to doctors because I always had stomach aches and diarrhea, constipation, cramps, etc. but doctors said it was just anxiety/nerves. As I got older, No matter what I did, I was unable to gain weight and was 5'9" and 110lbs. I was constantly having colds, strep throat,stomach problems, etc but just thought I had a weak immune system. Now not a day goes by where I don't have something wrong. I get bloated after every time I eat, acid reflux,constipation, diarrhea, stomach cramps, have back problems, my foot swells for no reason (and has for the last 10 years), I constantly have stuffy noses and sore throats (especially after I drink beer) and have put on 10 lbs in the last 2 years. Even with working out and eating right, I still can't manage to lose the weight. I just end up geting sick again. Also I'm constantly tired, no matter how much sleep I get. I did try to cut out gluten for a bit and ended up feeling so much better. Now if a day goes by and I don't eat it, I feel amazing but when I go back to eating it, I just get icky feeling again. I know, I'm making myself sound REALLY sexy here. Good thing this is a celiac forum and not a personal ad! ;)

I never thought this could be something like celiac disease as I had just read it meant people lost a ton of weight and couldn't gain weight no matter what. But after doing some research, it looks like there are a TON of symptoms. A friend who was diagnosed with Celiac some years ago lovingly bullied me into getting tested because she said she will be highly surprised if I don't have it. So I made the an appointment with a doctor to get testing done on May 5th. I'm TERRIFIED of needles (seriously turn into a giant baby when they appear) but I'm thinking if I can FINALLY figure out what's wrong with me, it will all be so worth it.

Sorry this is such a long post. I just wanted to share my story. I'm nervous and this whole "having to eat gluten regularly until testing" thing SUCKS! I just can't believe I might have to continue to make myself sick for another few weeks. I've been trying to back a little bit on it during the day because otherwise I just feel exhasuted, moody, bloated, crampy and have to use the restrooms all day at work. But then at night it's like a gluten party around my house.

Thanks for reading.. if you have any advice or thoughts to any of this please feel free to post! And to every one of you who are going through the same thing or have gone through it, I feel for you big time!!! *hugs*

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Hello and a warm welcome.

Uhmm, is there some reason you have to wait until May 5?? Do you have a primary care physician who can just order the testing and you can get it done tomorrow?? It seems a long time to wait just to get a slip for some blood work, which I DO definitely think you should have done as soon as possible. And really, the needles are not that bad!! The important thing is not to look :D What you don't see won't hurt you so much. :lol: Actually, it is more surprise than just brief discomfort; and the thought of it is much worse than the actual occurrence. :). Do see if there is some way you can get it done sooner. Because if it is positive they will probably want to do an endoscopy with biopsies and that is just more time eating gluten.

Jaymes805 Newbie

I really did want to get teted sooner however, I don't have a regular doctor. I just got insurance in Nov. so I have just been going to urgent care (once a month/once every two months for flu/respritory problems). I wrote to my local celiac group and asked for a doctor recommendation and the doctor they recommended to me had a 5 week wait for new patients. :(

Archived