s9421

Possible False Negative

Rate this topic

I have been having stomach pains in my upper abdomen, feelings of fullness that sometimes lead to vomiting, distention, and headaches. I have been tested for celiac, lactose intolerance, gallbladder disease, etc... Everything has come back negative.

My question is whether anyone thinks I could have had a false negative test for celiac.

I recently had a genetics test done. It showed that I am three times more likely than average to have celiac. It also showed that I have a gene that is related to a significantly higher risk of having an Iga deficiency, which can sometimes cause a false negative. Also, I generally feel better when I am not eating wheat products.

Is this something I should tell my doctor? Could I have celiac disease even though my blood test was negative?

Thanks!

I have been having stomach pains in my upper abdomen, feelings of fullness that sometimes lead to vomiting, distention, and headaches. I have been tested for celiac, lactose intolerance, gallbladder disease, etc... Everything has come back negative.

My question is whether anyone thinks I could have had a false negative test for celiac.

I recently had a genetics test done. It showed that I am three times more likely than average to have celiac. It also showed that I have a gene that is related to a significantly higher risk of having an Iga deficiency, which can sometimes cause a false negative. Also, I generally feel better when I am not eating wheat products.

Is this something I should tell my doctor? Could I have celiac disease even though my blood test was negative?

Thanks!

Yes yes Yes!

Do you have the lab results?

If they did not test you for IgA (total) and then tested you for the celiac antibodies that are also IgA, you could have a false negative if your IgA is deficient.

Definitely false negatives are common. You may also have a non-celiac form of gluten intolerance that causes similar symptoms but does NOT show up in blood work or biopsy...

Good luck! If they refuse to test you, you have nothing to lose by trying the gluten free diet and see if there is improvement.

Yes yes Yes!

Do you have the lab results?

If they did not test you for IgA (total) and then tested you for the celiac antibodies that are also IgA, you could have a false negative if your IgA is deficient.

Definitely false negatives are common. You may also have a non-celiac form of gluten intolerance that causes similar symptoms but does NOT show up in blood work or biopsy...

Good luck! If they refuse to test you, you have nothing to lose by trying the gluten free diet and see if there is improvement.

Thanks for your help!

I do not have the results. I actually called my doctor to get all of my medical records and they failed to send me the celiac test results. I am very curious to see what exactly they tested for and the results. My understanding is that you can be borderline and they may read your test as being negative, but you may actually have it.

I have been eating gluten free and it has definitely helped!