This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bone Marrow Issue

tohobo

tohobo Newbie

Hi all,

To last off, I was diagnosed with Celiac by tTG and biopsy (Marsh 3B) in 2009.

Last year I had some blood work done that showed very mild anemia for a few months. My doctor ran an absolute retic count which came back low as 15 (ref range 25 - 80). She ran it again in the future, with the same low results. Due to my red blood cells floating around low-normal, she decided it was likely just normal for me.

Recently at my annual checkup, she reran the tests. My results are below. She told me that my reticulocytes are almost none existent. Even though my HB, HCT &RBC are only mildly low, they are still lower than normal and my retic should be higher to make up for it. She has referred me urgently to a Hematologist and requested I am seen before June. The only symptom I have is I have been really tired the last few months and I've lost 10lbs over last two months without trying. I am a slender 25 year old male, so the 10lbs should of been hard to lose. I am not too worried, but just wondered if everyone thinks my GP is right is requesting a BMB. SHe feels even though my B12 is low, it would have to be lower to be causing a retic of almost 0. Also she said normally B12 anemia shows as Macrocytic, while mine was normocytic which usually points to a bone marrow problems.

Does anybody have experience with this? THanks a million!!

Hemoglobin: 120 (range 140 - 170) LOW

Hematocrit: 0.34 (range 0.39 - 0.49) LOW

RBC: 3.9 (range 4.4 - 5.7) LOW

MCV: 86 (range 80 - 97)

MCH: 30 (range 27 - 32)

MCHC: 349 (range 320 - 360)

RDW: 12.7 (range 11.5 - 15.5)

Platelets: 177 (range 150 - 400)

MPV: 8.6 (range 7.4 - 11.3)

WBC: 3.8 (range 4.2 - 11.0) LOW

ABS Neutrophils: 2.24 (range 1.8 - 7.0)

ABS Lymphocytes: 0.9 (range 1.0 - 3.0) LOW

ABS Monocytes: 0.34 (range 0.0 - 0.80)

ABS Eosinophils: 0.23 (range 0.0 - 0.40)

ABS Basophils: 0.04 (range 0.0 - 0.20)

ABS Reticulocytes: 1 (range 25 - 80) VERY LOW

INR: 1.2 (range 0.8 - 1.2)

B12: 174 (Deficiency < 148, Insufficiency 148 - 220, Normal > 220) LOWISH

Ferritin: 54 (range 20 - 200)

Bilirubin Total: 4 (range < 23)

Albumin: 44 (range 34 - 48)

Alkaline Phos: 41 (range 40 - 130)

ALT: 28 (range < 46)

LDH: 160 (range 110 - 215)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I can't answer about anything other than your B12. That seems to be quite low. Are you taking a sublingual B12? If you're not you should pick some up. I was very symptomatic when mine was that low and some doctors treat low B12 when it is under 500. It isn't going to hurt to supplement.

tohobo Newbie

Thanks for the info on B12. My GP said my B12 is low, but not dangerous yet so shots are not needed. I have been taking a sublingual tablet for the last year. My GP said to continue that until I see the hematologist. So we will see I guess, thanks again! :-)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks for the info on B12. My GP said my B12 is low, but not dangerous yet so shots are not needed. I have been taking a sublingual tablet for the last year. My GP said to continue that until I see the hematologist. So we will see I guess, thanks again! :-)

I hope the hematologist is able to figure things out for you. Let us know how things go at the visit.

Loey Rising Star

Hi all,

To last off, I was diagnosed with Celiac by tTG and biopsy (Marsh 3B) in 2009.

Last year I had some blood work done that showed very mild anemia for a few months. My doctor ran an absolute retic count which came back low as 15 (ref range 25 - 80). She ran it again in the future, with the same low results. Due to my red blood cells floating around low-normal, she decided it was likely just normal for me.

Recently at my annual checkup, she reran the tests. My results are below. She told me that my reticulocytes are almost none existent. Even though my HB, HCT &RBC are only mildly low, they are still lower than normal and my retic should be higher to make up for it. She has referred me urgently to a Hematologist and requested I am seen before June. The only symptom I have is I have been really tired the last few months and I've lost 10lbs over last two months without trying. I am a slender 25 year old male, so the 10lbs should of been hard to lose. I am not too worried, but just wondered if everyone thinks my GP is right is requesting a BMB. SHe feels even though my B12 is low, it would have to be lower to be causing a retic of almost 0. Also she said normally B12 anemia shows as Macrocytic, while mine was normocytic which usually points to a bone marrow problems.

Does anybody have experience with this? THanks a million!!

Hemoglobin: 120 (range 140 - 170) LOW

Hematocrit: 0.34 (range 0.39 - 0.49) LOW

RBC: 3.9 (range 4.4 - 5.7) LOW

MCV: 86 (range 80 - 97)

MCH: 30 (range 27 - 32)

MCHC: 349 (range 320 - 360)

RDW: 12.7 (range 11.5 - 15.5)

Platelets: 177 (range 150 - 400)

MPV: 8.6 (range 7.4 - 11.3)

WBC: 3.8 (range 4.2 - 11.0) LOW

ABS Neutrophils: 2.24 (range 1.8 - 7.0)

ABS Lymphocytes: 0.9 (range 1.0 - 3.0) LOW

ABS Monocytes: 0.34 (range 0.0 - 0.80)

ABS Eosinophils: 0.23 (range 0.0 - 0.40)

ABS Basophils: 0.04 (range 0.0 - 0.20)

ABS Reticulocytes: 1 (range 25 - 80) VERY LOW

INR: 1.2 (range 0.8 - 1.2)

B12: 174 (Deficiency < 148, Insufficiency 148 - 220, Normal > 220) LOWISH

Ferritin: 54 (range 20 - 200)

Bilirubin Total: 4 (range < 23)

Albumin: 44 (range 34 - 48)

Alkaline Phos: 41 (range 40 - 130)

ALT: 28 (range < 46)

LDH: 160 (range 110 - 215)

I was recently diagnosed with CLL (Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia) and I'm happy to say that none of your numbers are in my range. Did your doctor do a bone marrow aspiration? Mine doesn't do anything invasive until I need chemo/radiation. Please feel free to PM me if you want to talk or need to vent. Also I recommend going to the cancer society website. They have a wealth of information.

My prayers are with you and I'm sending positive energy.

Loey

Archived