KathrynL

Can Celiac Disease Manifest On A Small Bowel Series?

Rate this topic

Along with Celiac Disease, I'm also getting tested for Crohn's. I had a colonoscopy four weeks ago, which was clear. However, my small bowel series showed an "abnormal" terminal ileum, and the barium didn't feed through the intestinal area properly. He said this could be suggestive of inflammatory bowel disease.

Has anyone with Celiac's ever had a small bowel series? Can Celiac's manifest itself on a small bowel series? What would that look like?

Along with Celiac Disease, I'm also getting tested for Crohn's. I had a colonoscopy four weeks ago, which was clear. However, my small bowel series showed an "abnormal" terminal ileum, and the barium didn't feed through the intestinal area properly. He said this could be suggestive of inflammatory bowel disease.

Has anyone with Celiac's ever had a small bowel series? Can Celiac's manifest itself on a small bowel series? What would that look like?

Celiac typically manifests as smoothed or blunted villi (which are microscopy little finger-shaped projections in your small intestine). I'm not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV) but I don't think this would show up on a small bowel series. There usually isn't a significant amount of swelling, which is what would appear on the x-ray/CT scan used in the small bowel series.

Good luck with the rest of your testing!

-Ryan