Rate this topic

Hey everyone,

I got my blood tested again and my doctor still says that I may not have celiac disease. My only positive was for anti-gliadin IGA and she said that other conditions may cause that, but at least she's finally sending me to a GI (who I have to wait a whole month to see).

Did anyone else on here have similiar results/symptoms and later found out that they do in fact have celiac disease?

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you. All my tests came back negative, except the anti gliadin IgA, which was pretty significantly positive at 61 (>17 being positive). The NP at my GI office said I was negative for Celiac and that the IgA can indicate someone who has a problem with their immune system. She did not elaborate on this, but told me to follow up with my PCP. I haven't gotten in to see them yet, so I'm still waiting. Everything I have found on the web says that this result indicates gluten sensitivity at the least and possible Celiac. The NP did say that I could go gluten free as some patients who aren't Celiac still find that this helps their GI symptoms. I went gluten-free about 10 days ago. My GI symptoms have been better, but not completely gone. I also went lactose free, but today I forgot and ate a grilled cheese sandwich made with Muenster cheese on gluten-free bread and I've had gas and abdominal pain since then. :( I am waiting to get into Mayo Clinic's GI department, my appointment there is in July and I am hoping that they will be a little more helpful than my current GI office.

I'm in the same boat as you. All my tests came back negative, except the anti gliadin IgA, which was pretty significantly positive at 61 (>17 being positive). The NP at my GI office said I was negative for Celiac and that the IgA can indicate someone who has a problem with their immune system. She did not elaborate on this, but told me to follow up with my PCP. I haven't gotten in to see them yet, so I'm still waiting. Everything I have found on the web says that this result indicates gluten sensitivity at the least and possible Celiac. The NP did say that I could go gluten free as some patients who aren't Celiac still find that this helps their GI symptoms. I went gluten-free about 10 days ago. My GI symptoms have been better, but not completely gone. I also went lactose free, but today I forgot and ate a grilled cheese sandwich made with Muenster cheese on gluten-free bread and I've had gas and abdominal pain since then. :( I am waiting to get into Mayo Clinic's GI department, my appointment there is in July and I am hoping that they will be a little more helpful than my current GI office.

Wow, them saying that IgA can indicate an immune system problem and then not explaining it is really rude! How would they expect you to not freak out about that? I'm freaked out.

After my first post here, I was 100% convinced that I had celiac (after a previous positive lab test that my doctor said was too low to see a GI) and I even started going through all my stuff in the house and labeling stuff with gluten. Now I'm not too sure; all the symptoms could be due to something else or a combo of whatever it is with my already existing diagnosis of PCOS.

Although, in all my online searches it said that IgA is a very specific test for celiac and IgG isn't (so IgG positive could mean something else). That just confuses me.

I guess I'll stop trying to diagnose myself and see what the GI says.

Thanks for your response to my post! Good luck to you and please let me know if you get any info.