anna34

Does Dh = Celiac?

Rate this topic

Does a DH diagnosis mean that you have Celiac?

A family member had a blood panel done after I was diagnosed and the blood panel results say that "DH cannot be ruled out". They are going to have an endoscopy.

Can DH be detected through a blood panel?

As far as I know DH is tested for with a biopsy of the skin next to active lesions. They need to be looking for it at the lab. Celiac is tested for with blood tests and yes a diagnosis of DH is a diagnosis of celiac even if the blood tests are negative. False negative testing for celiac is not uncommon and that also applies to DH. If there is thinking that gluten is an issue a strict trial of the diet should be done when testing is finished no matter what the test results.

As far as I know DH is tested for with a biopsy of the skin next to active lesions. They need to be looking for it at the lab. Celiac is tested for with blood tests and yes a diagnosis of DH is a diagnosis of celiac even if the blood tests are negative. False negative testing for celiac is not uncommon and that also applies to DH. If there is thinking that gluten is an issue a strict trial of the diet should be done when testing is finished no matter what the test results.

Yes, I thought that it was strange that the blood panel results mentioned DH. Perhaps DH means something else on the blood panel? So strange. The endoscope will show more I suppose.