George Knighton

Started A Gluten And Casein Free Diet 4 Days Ago... New Symptoms?

Rate this topic

So today is my 4th day starting my gluten and casein free diet. I noticed a lot of improvement in my mood swings and I feel good, but I'm still anxious about my skin rashes. But earlier this morning while I was asleep, I noticed that I developed a HUGE rash of hives on both my arms and some parts of my chest and stomach. I woke up scratching it a bit and it was very red. I tried to go back to sleep just massaging and cooling my arms. I haven't had this kind of rash since I drank a glass of milk last year and I'm sure I haven't eaten anything gluten or casein on my diet for the past 4 days. This morning it doesn't look as bad as last night, but there's still parts of it.

I just wanted to know if this process is normal for those who are going gluten free? Is this the body just processing the excess wheat from my body from before and pushing it out from the surface or what?

It may be George. I started gluten free the day after Easter, and I swear, nearly everyday I have new 'symptoms'. I am pleased to say, though, that I finally am seeing steady improvement. I still have a long way to go though.

I don't get rashes, so I can't swear that it's just the gluten and casien working it's way out, but after seeing all the crazy things my body has been through the last 1 1/2 weeks, I would bet it is. Hopefully someone with more experience will answer your question.

I'm starting to think that it may be the Extra Virgin Olive Oil I've been eating with my food but I highly doubt it.

You may still be reacting to the gluten you had before you started the diet since you have only been gluten free for 4 days. It takes some time for the antibodies to leave our systems. Hang in there and hopefully you will be doing better soon.