Rate this topic

This is all very new to me. Currently undergoing elimination for several food allergies, but the primary one seems to be gluten. I see in lots of posts the 'd' word (diarrhea) as a primary symptom. I was 'glutened' yesterday after being gluten-free for 2 weeks. I don't have the 'd' word, but feel like I've been hit by a mack truck. Flu-like, extreme fatigue, headache, sinus, swelling, dizziness, some rumblings but no 'd'.

Is 'd' always a symptom of a gluten reaction?

THANKS!!

Nancy

This is all very new to me. Currently undergoing elimination for several food allergies, but the primary one seems to be gluten. I see in lots of posts the 'd' word (diarrhea) as a primary symptom. I was 'glutened' yesterday after being gluten-free for 2 weeks. I don't have the 'd' word, but feel like I've been hit by a mack truck. Flu-like, extreme fatigue, headache, sinus, swelling, dizziness, some rumblings but no 'd'.

Is 'd' always a symptom of a gluten reaction?

THANKS!!

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry you're feeling so bad!

To answer your question, 'd' is not always a symptom of a gluten reaction. There are an amazing number of reactions to gluten for people who have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten. Just because you don't have 'd' doesn't mean you didn't have a reaction to gluten. Some people have no noticeable physical reaction at all.

For some, severe constipation occurs if they get glutened. Others get bloated, some have gastroesphogeal reflux, nausea, become very gaseous, etc.

Others have neurological problems, like migraines, neuropathy, sleep disorders and more.

Then there are people who have skin disorders. Virtually any organ of the body can be attacked, because your body attacks itself when you ingest gluten if you have this autoimmune disease.

Hope you feel better soon! If you have fresh ginger, make a tea with a 1/2" chunk of peeled knob - let it steep for four minutes or so in water just brought to the boiling point. (Search "the healing benefits of ginger".)

Wishing you good health,

Marilyn

:)