raesue

How Long On Gluten For A Positive Test?

Rate this topic

I finally found an affordable estimate for testing. Now I just need to get my doctor to send in an order. How long do I need to go back onto a gluten heavy diet to get a positive result?

Hopefully this is not too redundant but I attended a lecture by one of Canada's leading celiac disease experts, a gastroenterologist and professor at med school, the other night who said one must be on gluten for three months and have the equivalent of four pieces of bread daily for an accurate result. That's what I was told prior to having my biopsies.

She went on to say that only 39% of all biopsies in Canada (am guessing it may be similar in the US?) are done correctly!! So rather than 3 biopsies insist upon 8-11. She said there are many people who have had so-called negative biopsies walking around thinking they are in the clear but still do have undiagnosed celiac disease. :o

Forget it! Thank you for the response, but I have changed my mind. Immediately after starting this thread, I ate two slices of wheat toast to start preparing. I hurt before I even finished and was in the bathroom before I could even wash my plate. If two slices of bread make me feel like I'm dying, I'm done with it. As of this moment, my daughter and I are both self diagnosed celiacs just because I said so. Skeptics can call me a hypochondriac all they want, but they're not the ones eating this way.

Good for you and your daughter!

I just cringe when I read of someone embarking on the 3 month gluten challenge only to find out they test negative but feel sick as a dog on gluten.

I feel relieved for you!

Congratulations on saving your own life.