Rate this topic

Hello,

I have only registered yesterday as I have some questions. I haven't been diagnosed as a celiac, but there is lots of confusion out there and I would love some help and answers. I have been on a strict detox diet for the last three months which meant no grains (so no gluten), no sugar, etc. I went on it because I suspected some allergies and possible problem with gluten. Before the start of the diet I had permanent geographical tongue for the past 4 years, which would drive me nuts, not knowing why I have that. From then on I have developed other problems like unbearable stomach pains, feeling as though food just sat in my stomach and my body wasn't digesting it, feeling hungry but the though of eating would turn my stomach, total exhaustion and feeling of not being well, excema type rashes on my hands and raised rashes on my stomach, being bloated and constant runny nose. These symptoms were random and would last for a day to a few days and then would mysteriously disappear. Otherwise I would call myself healthy. On this diet, every two weeks I add something new in and all was ok until this week when I could add back in grains. So I went out and bought bread - immediately I got geographical tongue back, terrible stomach pains from wind, bloated stomach and runny nose. Few days later of not eating any wheat and when this has calmed down I have tried 48 hours fermented sourdough bread that I have made myself and again, the same reaction. So I have realised that I should probably stay off gluten. Now what does this mean? Am I sensitive to gluten? Is it a wheat allergy? Will this eventually resolve if I go on gluten-free diet for a while (let's say 2 years) and then come back to eating gluten again? I was reading that in order to be tested I have to eat gluten, however I have been gluten-free for the past 3 months except for this week's experiments and because of these horrible reactions I have to gluten I refuse to go back to eating it again and making myself sick. Any thoughts? many thanks!

Hello,

I only registered just now because I cannot agree with you more. I've been a "lurker" for a few months now and have finally registered. I haven't been diagnosed with a gluten intolerance/wheat allergy/celiac but I know my body and I am 99% sure I have it. I have for the past 6 months or so been trying to eat gluten free whenever possible but haven't been as dedicated until the past almost 4 weeks. I completely cut out gluten and even recently cut out dairy and even more recently, soy (As I went gluten free, I realized that dairy was also causing side effects).

I have every symptom you listed (EVEN THE RUNNY NOSE!- so irritating and gross). I had the geographical tongue and besides the pain, it was embarrassing. Within a few days of going gluten-free, it dissappered! My tongue looks normal and healthy. (I recently, within the past day or two, have reacted to something because they reappeared but have subdued a little bit today).

I have huge, huge bloating and horrible gas/stomach pains. (or do, when I eat gluten) and would cause me so much pain. I get a strong pressure in my lower abdomen as well. I had gotten a colonoscopy a few years ago because I had bathroom issues. (We wont get into that) and found nothing. I've been to many doctors before I knew about celiac and they all told me I have "IBS-constipation". Ugh.

The runny nose was constant and gross. I still am dealing with it after almost a month gluten-free and dairy-free. I haven't really paid attention to the improvement, so I will try and do that.

The whole idea of your stomach just feeling like it is not digesting and that your food is just sitting there, rotting, I feel the EXACT same way. I felt like nothing was moving inside and that I had like 10 pounds of backed up, undigested food...just sitting there. :(

I didn't realize then, but knowing now, my outer thighs itched so so badly if I have a reaction. Itched to the point where I had red scratch marks and hives. That IMMEDIATELY stopped once I went gluten free. I haven't itched since.

Since I have gone gluten free, a lot of the symptoms have lessened and that is enough reason for me to be gluten free. I am still struggling with a few cross contaminations or battling with the soy/chocolate even. I am working on it every day but just wanted to tell you, you are not alone and I defintely think you have an intolerance as well. Try the gluten-free diet and see how much it improves, that'll tell you more than a doctor can (most will dismiss your issues as something else). It takes months if not years to completely heal but you can notice some improvements pretty quickly sometimes (I did).

But if you want the peace of mind, you can get the test done. I just refuse to ever go back to eating gluten fill foods for 3 months just to have a diagnosis! But good luck to you and let me know if you have any questions :)

Thank you for getting back to me! I'm pleased that I'm not the only one with these strange symptoms and feeling like a hypochondriac being unable to pinpoint what was the root of my problems. At the moment I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself at the thought of having to give up so much. :( However, I'm so pleased that I have finally discovered what was causing my geographical tongue. One recent thing that I have just discovered is that they coat some dried fruit in flour and it is often not declared on the package. I thought that I had an allergy to dried figs and always thought that the white coating was natural crystallized sugar, well, it turns out they coat them in flour so that they don't stick! No wonder it brought back all the familiar symptoms.

I'm really pleased that you feel better already on the gluten-free diet, that's really encouraging, I'm still recovering from this week's bread experiments. Geo. tongue has gone down a bit, but I'm still suffering from runny nose...

There are some posts on here about geographic tongue...in the archives. Do a search...It's pretty interesting.

Don't worry about testing, you already got your results. That is just my opinion. I would suspect there will be no way for you to return to eating gluten say two years down the road. You will likely have reactions the rest of your life...but the thing is...you can test it as often as you want.

Welcome to both of you!!

Glad you are here!