Rate this topic

I know this is probably not the right place to ask, but I'm feeling out all my options at the moment. I am an American citizen who just graduated from University, and I want to relocate to somewhere in the UK for a year or so, just for the experience. Of course, I have an English degree and no skills as of yet, since I just got out, so it isn't going to be easy finding a job.

See, I'm a bit of a 3rd culture kid. I grew up mostly in Japan because of my dad's job, and now I'm bored of America. I don't want to go back to Japan, and since I have celiac I kind of want to go somewhere where I speak the language and where celiac is well-known, etc. Which leaves me the UK, Australia, or New Zealand, all of which I'm looking into.

I'd do any work I could get, but the thing is, in order for visas etc. I need to have a job before going over to the UK. Does anyone have any advice for me? I'll take the jobs that UK citizens don't want. :P I'll do anything just for the adventure of moving to a brand-new country with nothing but a suitcase and some dreams.

I'm also thinking of joining Americorps soon to get some experience under my belt. It would be a 10-12 month assignment. It's basically the peace corps that stays in America (can't join the peace corps because of celiac, otherwise I would!). Would that give me a good experience and an edge that would help me out in the job market?

thoughts? opinions? I'm a brand-new graduate so I'm just throwing out ideas atm. (Grad school is NOT one of them yet DX)

You can do Peace Corps with Celiac, as long as you have it controlled.