suziq0805

? On Results From Genetic Testing

Rate this topic

I had requested genetic testing for my 1 year old. We found out he has 2 of the DQ8 genes. The doc said this could put him at an increased chance to have/develop celiac, but that the DQ2 gene would make it more possible. If I remember correctly he said that he's twice as likely to develop celiac than someone without it. (There were other things discussed at the appt. so I am hoping I am remembering all of this correctly!) Now that I've left the clinic I'm wondering if you guys can help me out with a question I just thought of.....do you have to have both a DQ2 and DQ8 gene to develop celiac? Or is it possible to develop it with just the DQ8 gene...I wonder because I have grandma who suffers from so many symptoms that I've wondered if it could be celiac.

And another couple questions also...

Since he has 2 DQ8 genes does that mean that his dad and I each have a DQ8 gene? I wouldn't think that it's possible for one parent to pass on both genes to him, but just checking. Since we now know that my son at least has genes for celiac I am going to try to get those in charge of my grandma's healthcare to at least consider the possibility that she could have celiac.

You can actually have celiac and not have either of those 2 genes. Those are just the most common. Yes your son got one DQ8 from you and one from his Dad. It would be a good idea for both of you and any siblings to also get tested for celiac. If anyone is symptomatic but comes up negative on testing do give the diet a good strict try after the testing is done as false negatives are not uncommon.