tphan

New Celiac, Need Help!

Rate this topic

Hey guys, i am new to this forum and i am a newly Celiac. I am currently 17 and in high school, working part time. I am really independent and I support myself for alot of things. Being Gluten Intolerant i find it very difficult to eat gluten free but more importantly afford it! When i am not in school, i am working to support myself, it is really stressful and this extra burden is pushing me off the edge. I don't want to cheat my diet but i don't know what i can do, i am stressed, and depressed and i don't know how to cope. I also am trying to gain weight, i am buying lots of nuts, milk, etc.

I am curious how do you teenagers do it? I almost can't handle it.

Hey guys, i am new to this forum and i am a newly Celiac. I am currently 17 and in high school, working part time. I am really independent and I support myself for alot of things. Being Gluten Intolerant i find it very difficult to eat gluten free but more importantly afford it! When i am not in school, i am working to support myself, it is really stressful and this extra burden is pushing me off the edge. I don't want to cheat my diet but i don't know what i can do, i am stressed, and depressed and i don't know how to cope. I also am trying to gain weight, i am buying lots of nuts, milk, etc.

Welcome aboard :) I am also 17 but I am not in the same boat as you. Although I do not have to support myself I do know how challenging it is to find not so expensive gluten-free food. My family has to buy it for my whole 6 people family. :P Anyways no more about me. If you have more questions, feel free to message me :) I don't bite.. much ;) I have been gluten free for about a month and a half now and the depression does get better. But I definitely do have my ups as do everyone else :) Hope to hear from you

My suggestion is to find a cookbook (or two) for gluten-free meals. Home-cooked meals generally are less expensive (and taste better!) than pre-packaged ones. Assuming you do not have an intolerance/allergy to rice, rice is pretty cheap. You can get those microwavable cups or buy it in bulk. Rice noodles make a nice stir-fry as well!

Cooking from a cookbook really helped me to realize what to look for and how to subsitute items to make delicious gluten-free meals.

And I agree, the depression does go away significantly on a gluten-free diet. I was cranky and irritable and tired all the time as well, and now I am full of energy :)

Focus on what you CAN eat, not what you can't :)

Hang in there!!

Hi,

I would definitely take the suggestion of cooking home-made meals. Much cheaper and less risk of CC - if you are eating out. Start with naturally gluten free foods...rice, quinoa, potatoes, plain meat, fruits and vegetables. I'm still new at this too, and it takes time to adjust!

Eating naturally gluten-free foods will help with the budget. Eggs, potatoes, rice, fruits, veggies, check cheese and luncheon meats but those are reasonably priced, air popped popcorn, some rice cakes, plain fresh meat. Make meals at home, don't leave home without snacks or a packed meal. It gets easier!! Hang in there.

I saw on another post a recipe book called gluten free on a shoestring. I'm going to try that. Also a lot of good ideas on a post in the teen section called gluten free & on a budget!