SAVANNAH21

Gi Appt Confusion

Rate this topic

I finally had my GI consult and I'm more confused now then before I went. First let me say that I had a biopsy and the pathology report showed some bluting of the villi (I had a general surgeon do my endo not a GI doctor. After the biopsy showed the blunting of the villi my family doc ordered labs which came back negative. He then said I did not have Celiac and was to follow up with him in 8 weeks. I decided to get a second opinion and that's were the confusion comes in. I live in a small rural area with no GI doctors. I had to go about 90 miles to find any GI doc. The main concern of this GI doc(it was actually a certified nurse assistant) was why did I travel all this way to see her and wasn't there someone closer. I told her that I have read a lot about Celiac and that everything makes sense as to my symptoms. I mention to her about this rash I get on my hands that are tiny blisters and I read that may be an associated thing as well. She never even looked at it. The bottom line is she is not sure I have Celiac despite my pathology report. Am I missing something here? Isn't it the blunted villi that shows if you have Celiac? Now she wants me to have a Celiac typing panel done and Gastric emptying study. What is this? I think I was so put off from her making a big deal of me traveling that I have a bad taste in my mouth. What to do next.

This is just my opinion but since you had a positive biopsy I would just go gluten free. The positive biopsy is the Gold Standard for diagnosis and since blood tests have a high rate of false negatives the biopsy trumps the blood test. I would consider myself diagnosed. Being gluten-free is not going to effect the outcome of tests for things other than celiac if you continue to have issues after you have been gluten-free for a while.