milkmommy

Endoscopy Results

Rate this topic

I have been diagnosed for with celiac for a few months now but just got my biopsy results in. When I saw the gi for the first time since diagnosis he didn't say much and I didn't see the results until I left the office so I didn't get a chance to ask questions. He seemed like it was an open shut case of celiac and thought the reason I wasn't getting much better was from ibs.

I have tried researching my endo results but can't find much on some of the findings. Are they all related to celiac? The results are as follows

1- duodenum shows flattening villi, increased intraepithelial lymphocytes, increased inflammation of lamina propria. What marsh score would this be??

2-gastric Antrum shows reactive gastropathy and mild lympocytic gastrits. Negative for h pylori

3- gastric body shows oxyntic mucosa with ppi effect and mild lymphocytic gastritis.

Any input would be appreciated

Taken from about.com"

Marsh Scores:

Stage 1

The cells on the surface of the intestinal lining (the epithelial cells) are being infiltrated by lymphocytes. (A lymphocyte is a small white blood cell that's involved in the body

I have been gluten free for 2 months. The first month I was sicker than I ever had been which I think was for the endoscopy irritating my inside. Then for 1 week I felt better than ever. Following that I have been as I was before going gluten free but with more problems. Huge weight gain, low blood sugar,( I'm not diabetic), short term memory loss, dizzy, brain f

Sorry, I've been out of action for a couple of days. I am sorry you are feeling worse. Have you eliminated dairy from your diet because until your villi heal you will be unlikely to be able to digest lactose. Try cutting out milk, cream, ice cream, and if that doesn't help do it all - cheese, yogurt, sour cream etc. For many of us dairy causes bloating and diarrhea. I'm not sure if you have digestive problems because you didn't finish off your post. Are the symptoms you mention those that you had before which led to diagnosis? or the new ones? Brain fog and other neurological problems are one class of celiac symptoms. Then there are the GI ones. And the skin ones.

The first month feeling worse can be attributed to gluten withdrawal most likely and you should be over those. Are you sure you have got rid of all the gluten in all it's hiding places and that you are not being cross-contaminated as by children, eating out, unthinking spouse, unreplaced gluten contaminated utensils like toaster and colander?

I will try cutting out some dairy. I have been eating ice-cream and milk. For some reason I have become addicted to sour cream an meat( never ate much of it before going gluten free)

I think I might be getting contaminated from my 2 year old and my husband but can't seem to figure a way to not be. Both are careless with their gluten foods and there are crumbs everywhere. I try to clean up after them as best I can but seem to loss the battle.

The gi says I'm not better because of ibs and to just eat fiber but I really don't think that the whole problem.

I will try cutting out some dairy. I have been eating ice-cream and milk. For some reason I have become addicted to sour cream an meat( never ate much of it before going gluten free)

I think I might be getting contaminated from my 2 year old and my husband but can't seem to figure a way to not be. Both are careless with their gluten foods and there are crumbs everywhere. I try to clean up after them as best I can but seem to loss the battle.

The gi says I'm not better because of ibs and to just eat fiber but I really don't think that the whole problem.

Please do cut out the dairy for a bit. The part I bolded is significant in that we can often become addicted to items we are intolerant to. Also the dairy you are getting is really high lactose and until your villi heal you are not able to produce the enzyme you need to digest dairy. It is possible you may be able to add dairy back in after you have healed a bit more.

You may also be getting CC'd but I think dropping the dairy for now may help a lot.