AnonymousTNMG

Transglutaminase Level >100

Rate this topic

I have recently picked up bloodwork results.

Six months ago, my Transglutaminase was >100.

Just last week, Doc ordered a couple more. My results were:

IGG 10.45 (ref range 7.0-16.0)

IGA 2.07 (ref range 0.7-4.0)

IGM 1.00 (ref range 0.4-2.30)

Transglutami nase >100 (ref range 0-20)

I have recently been diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis, another autoimmune disorder. I am also hypothyroid-but it is under control with medication.

Looking for insight - does this mean I may have Celiacs? I have not received a follow-up call from my doc, but does this warrant one?

I have gone off wheat (not gluten) for a couple weeks here or there and have felt great.

Thank you!

A high tTG, especially one above 100, is highly suggestive of celiac but that by itself isn't enough to diagnose. It can also be elevated with any number of other autoimmune disorders, so the fact that you have multiple autoimmune disorders can either mean you have celiac and that is causing some of the others, or you have a propensity toward autoimmune disorders and the tTG is reflecting that. I think if it were me I'd probably eliminate gluten for awhile and see what happens.

I'd say ring dr to find out where to go from here. My daughters ttg was 128. Her dr felt it was enough to diagnose her especially considering that she is very symptomatic. But after speaking to another dr, they will be doing a biopsy. Regardless of that result, she will be going gluten free (after biopsy).

There is another blood test that is very specific for Celiac that you could ask for so you wouldn't have to do a biopsy. It is the EMA (endomysial antibodies) test. My tTG IGA was 92, and with the + EMA test my doctor said that the diagnosis is definitive even without a biopsy.

Good luck!

Jenn