suziq0805

What Are The Chances?

Rate this topic

My 14 month old has been going through a number of tests since he stopped gaining weight for awhile. He is now up to the 10th percentile though! Yay!! When we introduced wheat to him he would have violent vomitting. After just a few times of eating wheat products we noticed the trend and he went gluten-free for a few months. Then we tried it again and no reaction. I asked for the genetic test for him and he is DQ8/DQ8. I know that makes him more likely to develop celiac than someone without those genes, but I also read that the DQ8 doesn't give you as great of a chance as the DQ2. His doctor wants to monitor his weight a bit longer to make sure he keeps gaining and then maybe put him back on gluten to see what happens. I'm not sure if we should do that or not yet. I don't want him to be gluten-free if he doesn't need to be, but also don't want to be feeding him gluten if it could hurt him. Anyone know a percentage (or have found research somewhere) for the chances of developing celiac with his genetics? 2 of his maternal great-grandmas have IBS and lactose intolerance (1 also with diahhrea issues), 1 paternal grandma seems to have diahhrea/contipation issues, 1 maternal great-aunt had bad constipation as a kid and his maternal grandpa went through lots of issues with reactions to food as a child. Knowing his genetics plus family history (no diagnosed celiac disease, but I'm beginning to wonder if there could be some cases) makes me unsure of what our next step should be.

Here is a pretty good article that you may find interesting:

http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/13/genetic-testing-for-celiac-disease/

"Not everyone with the genes or a family history will develop celiac disease – the chance of this happening if you have the “right” H.L.A. genes is 20 percent to 30 percent."

In my case, if my daughter (also 14mo) were showing possible signs but I wasn't sure, I'd leave her gluten free until she could talk to me well (3 or 4yrs) and then consider reintroducing gluten. But that's just me, and I'm already gluten free, so it's easier. Every family will have a different "right answer".

Good luck!

In my case, if my daughter (also 14mo) were showing possible signs but I wasn't sure, I'd leave her gluten free until she could talk to me well (3 or 4yrs) and then consider reintroducing gluten. But that's just me, and I'm already gluten free, so it's easier. Every family will have a different "right answer".

Good luck!

I've recently started eating gluten free to see if I notice any improvements. I've dealt with some muscular/neurological symptoms for years that nobody could really figure out. Since he has 2 DQ8 genes then I have at least 1. So I figure I'd try it and see. I was thinking about keeping him gluten-free until he can talk. I'll see what his doctor says.