MitziG

Can Dermatitis Herpetiformis Develop After Going Gluten-Free?

Rate this topic

My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac via biopsy 3 months ago. Aside from mild eczema, she was basically asymptomatic and was tested as a result of her brother and myself having celiac. She has been strictly gluten free since then. I decided to take her off dairy cold turkey about 5 weeks ago to see if that would make a difference with her eczema. About 2 weeks after going dairy free, she developed a bad case of what I thought was ear eczema-splitting and crusting first behind the ear, in the crease, then developing blisters and sores on the outside of ear and in the ear canal. I thought maybe it was a reaction to de-toxing from dairy. I started letting her have a little bit of dairy every day to hopefully slow down the process, thinking maybe cold turkey wasnt the best idea. Now she has developed little clear blisters on her nose and chin which burst open and which she picks at so that she now has huge oozing sores all over her face, ears and a few on her arms. She says they dont itch though. I am wondering if this is dermatitis herpetiformis possibly? Is that ALWAYS itchy? and would that develop AFTER quitting gluten? Or is it related to the dairy? I am taking her to the doctor tomorrow, but considering their general ignorance of all things celiac related thus far, I dont expect them to really have a clue either. Any help and advice is appreciated!

my DH did not show up until 1 week after going 100% gluten-free for the first time. it lasted for 4 months. it was pretty itchy. had some bumps on my arms too- they itched sometimes, and burned others.