mmm1017

Severe Intolerance To Gliadin?

Rate this topic

I went to my neuro-endocrinologist today to discuss my saliva test. He was excited to explain the "why" of my thyroid issues, fibromyalgia, migraines, and slew of other issues. He said it was a severe intolerance to gliadin and I should avoid all grains like the plague. He said not to get confused with celiac disease, that it was only a subset. My saliva test read an SIgA level of 31. What does this mean? There is very little information on the internet about this. When I google gliadin, I come up with gluten. My doctor said that my body was not "allergic" to grains, it was more serious than that. Grains (corn included) were toxic to my body. Does any of this make sense? Where to go from here?

I went to my neuro-endocrinologist today to discuss my saliva test. He was excited to explain the "why" of my thyroid issues, fibromyalgia, migraines, and slew of other issues. He said it was a severe intolerance to gliadin and I should avoid all grains like the plague. He said not to get confused with celiac disease, that it was only a subset. My saliva test read an SIgA level of 31. What does this mean? There is very little information on the internet about this. When I google gliadin, I come up with gluten. My doctor said that my body was not "allergic" to grains, it was more serious than that. Grains (corn included) were toxic to my body. Does any of this make sense? Where to go from here?

Well, I'm normally inclined to trust a doctor about matters like this, but my understanding was that gliadin is the actual substance that celiacs react to, not gluten. Gliadin is a component of "true" gluten found in triticae grains (wheat, barley, rye) and that is what differentiates that true gluten from proteins in corn, rice, etc that are sometimes called gluten but are not dangerous for a celiac.

That's my understanding. If you're ONLY reacting to gliadin that theoretically corn should not be a problem. That said, it does seem like there's more going on than just a gliadin intolerance- I think you need to go back to the doctor and really find out what is happening.

By the way, IgA is immunoglobulin A, it's an antibody that is involved in immune reactions and is often elevated in gluten intolerance and celiac. SIgA is probably saliva IgA- not sure about how that correlates to serum (blood) IgA levels but in your blood, an anti-gliadin IgA of 31 would be considered elevated.

Not sure if that's helpful. Talk to your doctor again, for sure.