adab8ca

Wedding Invitation

Rate this topic

So a kid of a close family friend is getting married in September...We have to go to the wedding. Will probably be sitting at least with my 2 sisters and their husbands so everyone is aware of the problem. I will just eat before hand, but you know what, this SUCKS. I have been gluten-free for 10 months, slipped up in March where I Licked A Spoon that I used to spread almond butter on an english muffin for my husband and had D and was sick for over 6 weeks. So I Do Not Eat Out. Period. At this time, if I didn't cook it, I won't eat it. And you know, that really, really sucks. But it is not worth the risk for the excruciating, excruciating (did I mention excruciating?) nerve pain and joint/bone pain...

Just sitting a teeny bit on the pity pot.

And, also realized my sister, that I THOUGHT understood gluten-free did not realize that Barley and Rye and possibly oats were a problem. So I have learned that I cannot trust anyone but myself. It is too bad when food becomes the enemy :(

I know that social occasions can be really tricky. I have been Gluten Free for 7 years and I know where you are coming from. Eating something beforehand is a good idea - but I always carry some rice crackers with me just in case there may be something that I know I can eat. I am fortunate that extended family really tries to have some food items That are gluten free and will tell me all the ingredients and brands that went into something that they made. When it does not look too promising I head for the fruit and raw veggies (no Dip) also if there is cheese that I can eat that can bulk up your meal a little. (that is why I bring crackers) Give yourself time and you will start to accept these situations a bit better. I have had all the symptoms that you describe (but they came from a restaurant meal that "appeared" Gluten Free) and I know that it is no picnic.

Also there are some restaurants that will make gluten free for you in a special gluten free area - I know that the Cheesecake Factory in Cincinnati does for me so I assume that they all will and there is an Italian restaurant chain( Maggiano's Little Italy) that does gluten free - the chef even comes out and talks with you and you get a gluten free dessert on the house. Check out restaurants online to see if they have a gluten free menu and if they take care to prepare your food in a gluten free area. It does take time, but you will find a lot of resources and you will be amazed. Best of Luck

I'm sorry for your frustration, and for a difficult situation coming up. At first I remember thinking, "I'm not going to let Celiac change my life!" then getting sick over and over until I will hardly eat anything out. It isn't worth it!

People really want to be helpful and make you eat something, and search around for something you can eat, and it's hard to explain that all the fuss is much harder than if they just let you be and not eat. But how do you say, "please stop being so thoughtful!"?

My MIL is under restrictions because of diabetes, and I thought I sympathized with her situation. Everyone thinks they do. But now that I have restrictions of my own, I understand so much better now the frustration and the temptation to cheat. I'm the only person who truly knows, and it has helped me be more thoughtful of her situation. All your frustration will someday be helpful to you as you find you can help someone else.

)))hugs(((