freeatlast

Breakfast Casserole

Rate this topic

My next door neighbor's husband passed away recently and I offered to take her a casserole for her out of town guests before the service next week. She requested a breakfast casserole, the kind with eggs, bacon, with bread on the bottom. I'm going to put some of my husband's white bread slices on the bottom because they don't need gluten-free.

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe you'd like to share? I don't want to experiment with a new recipe off the internet for this one.

Oh, and she said you make it the night before and put it in the refrigerator overnight, but she doesn't have the recipe.

Many thanks for anyone's help.

Here's one that sound similar to what she is talking about, but it's done in the slow cooker:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2010/02/slow-cooker-ultimate-breakfast.html

I haven't made that one but I have made this one more than once: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/08/crockpot-hash-brown-breakfast-casserole.html

And it's really good. If you do it in the slow cooker one of the advantages is that it can stay warm on the warm setting until they are ready to eat it.

I haven't made that one but I have made this one more than once: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/08/crockpot-hash-brown-breakfast-casserole.html

And it's really good. If you do it in the slow cooker one of the advantages is that it can stay warm on the warm setting until they are ready to eat it.

That sounds really good. What kind of sausages do you use? They must be pretty big.

This one doesn't have bread in the bottom but I love it. We usually use bacon and the veggies are easily customizable based on what's around. My family likes sauteed mushrooms and chopped up red bell peppers, no onions.

Breakfast Casserole

That sounds really good. What kind of sausages do you use? They must be pretty big.

I use Al Fresco Breakfast chicken sausages OR Harvestland apple and maple chicken sausage. Both are smaller than the ones she used. The only reason I use the brands I use though is that I'm allergic to pork and they are the only non-pork sausages I have found without pork casings and also without any cheese, soy or gluten. I bet you could use any type of sausage or even kielbasa and it would be good.

I use Al Fresco Breakfast chicken sausages OR Harvestland apple and maple chicken sausage. Both are smaller than the ones she used. The only reason I use the brands I use though is that I'm allergic to pork and they are the only non-pork sausages I have found without pork casings and also without any cheese, soy or gluten. I bet you could use any type of sausage or even kielbasa and it would be good.

Those brands sound great. Didn't know about them. Will probably use regular brand pork for my neighbor, though. Will keep these in mind for my own use later :) I rarely ever eat pork, either.

This one doesn't have bread in the bottom but I love it. We usually use bacon and the veggies are easily customizable based on what's around. My family likes sauteed mushrooms and chopped up red bell peppers, no onions.

Breakfast Casserole

Will definitely make this casserole for us. Thanks so much Poppi :)

Breakfast Casserole

Yum! This Looks very good and is very similar what I posted that I make overnight in the slow cooker except with ham, bacon or sausage. Breakfast casseroles are really so versatile! You can throw whatever you want in them. Just don't use vanilla flavored milk if using a non-dairy milk sub. :blink:

Those brands sound great. Didn't know about them. Will probably use regular brand pork for my neighbor, though. Will keep these in mind for my own use later :) I rarely ever eat pork, either.

Yeah, people that can eat pork tend to think chicken sausage is weird, LOL! I didn't realize this until recently when I had guests and I served them chicken sausage. They thought it tasted good but I didn't warn them it was chicken (I've been allergic to pork for so long I don't really remember the difference in taste) and they were taken by surprise. If you like non-pork sausage another brand I like is Applegate farms chicken and apple. But I have not been able to find those where I currently live and have never used them in a casserole.