Sika

Can I Go Gluten-Free Post-Blood Test And Pre-Endo?

Rate this topic

I was eating a gluten-light diet for many months. About 2-3 months ago I had a recurring issue with pain passing stools, blood in stools, etc ... and complete exhaustion and brain fog (which is ongoing for me). I began thinking that perhaps it's celiac so have been increasing my gluten intake prior to the text last week. Which has meant I've been feeling worse and worse. The bloating is unbearable, I really feel like I will pop and have to wear massive tops so I don't get mistaken for a pregnant person. Still waiting for the blood results, and understand I may need a biopsy at some point. I am having a colonoscopy in a couple of months (long waiting lists!).

Anyway - do I need to have gluten in me prior to any biopsy? Or can I begin to cut it out of my diet again?

I bet the bloods will come back negative anyway ... and I'll never find out. I'm getting my mum to get tested too though, and maybe my grandmother - all have the symptoms.

I was eating a gluten-light diet for many months. About 2-3 months ago I had a recurring issue with pain passing stools, blood in stools, etc ... and complete exhaustion and brain fog (which is ongoing for me). I began thinking that perhaps it's celiac so have been increasing my gluten intake prior to the text last week. Which has meant I've been feeling worse and worse. The bloating is unbearable, I really feel like I will pop and have to wear massive tops so I don't get mistaken for a pregnant person. Still waiting for the blood results, and understand I may need a biopsy at some point. I am having a colonoscopy in a couple of months (long waiting lists!).

Anyway - do I need to have gluten in me prior to any biopsy? Or can I begin to cut it out of my diet again?

I bet the bloods will come back negative anyway ... and I'll never find out. I'm getting my mum to get tested too though, and maybe my grandmother - all have the symptoms.

Hey,

I found myself in a similar situation. I'd say that because you were "gluten light" for a while, its going to be important to really load up on gluten over time to make sure you do enough damage for them to catch. Otherwise, all that pain and suffering is going to be for naught. My GE says to load up for at least three weeks before endoscopy but most people on these forums seems to think 3 months is more appropriate, and if you've been gluten light/free for a long time, I'd say that three months is probably the wiser option

If you are feeling worse and worse with going back to gluten your body is giving you the answer as to whether you need to be gluten free or not. Some doctors are skipping the biopsy when blood tests come back clearly positive and it is your choice whether to have one done or not. If your having a lower scope in a couple of months you can ask your doctor to scope both ends at the same time. Keep in mind that even on a full gluten diet you still have a 30% risk of a false negative so do give the diet a good strict try after the procedure is done.