This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Confusing Panel Results-Positive And Negatives

ocalamity

ocalamity Newbie

So the more I read posts here and on other sites, the more I realize everything was/is just as confused as me when they got their first blood test results.

Well I've been seeing a rheumatologist for the past year and a half to figure out some joint issues and blood tests have been showing very high inflamation for my ESR and C-Reactive proteins with no improvement with anti-inflamatories and steroids. I've also had persistent issues with B12 even though I'm taking two 1000-mcg pills of it a day--my system just doesn't want to absorb it. So for the last set of blood work he included a celiac panel. Results:

IGA, SERUM: 260

TISSUE TRANSGLUTAM AB IGA: <3 (Interpretaion: Negative)

GLIADIN AB (IGA): 23 (Interpretation: Positive)

The doctor told me that I have celiac and should start eating gluten free, but to see my primary doctor and go from there for offical diagnosis. I have that appointment next week where I assume she'll send me for an endoscopy as I've been reading that's what geenerally happens with any positive results.

BUT, I'm so confused. I've been reading contradictory things on what having only Gliadin as positive and the others as negative could mean. I'm just curious if anyone else has tested similarly and what their story wound up being. I know it sounds silly, but I actually just want my doctor to say "Yup, totally confirmed, you have Celaic" because it would answer a ton of questions that my doctors have been trying to answer for years and I just want answers. I'm 22 and have a family history of Celaic (my great-aunt has it).

Thanks!! And sorry about the novel I just wrote :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

In the U.S. the "official" diagnosis is done with the Medical Professional running that scope down your gullet and then the biopsy finds the damage in the small intestines, but they also want a positive blood work panel first so the insurance will okay the cost of the biopsy scope. Alas, not everybody who has gluten intolerance or celiac successfully tests out perfectly in either phase. Some of us had lots and lots of atypical symptoms and still nothing on the blood tests, but we do well on the gluten free diet. That is wonderful that your doctor thought to run a celiac panel. I have arthritis but did not and probably never will be anything other than sero negative for the C reactive protein stuff, altho when on a temporary course of steroids for other things (like poison oak, or asthma from forest fires that smoke up the whole valley) my joints do respond well to the steroids BUT even with the wean- off taper down, the side effects are so awful afterwards.... :( don't want to do it unless it's an emergency. (the ultimate bummer is being stuck on the couch for 2 weeks with poison oak all over your face, but your hips are now not bothering you much, and your feet are feeling pretty perky, but you can't really DO ANYTHING anyway because you're otherwise a calamine lotion coated disaster) Can't take much NSAIDS at all, either, so I'm stuck. But the diet helps.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Positive is positive even if it is only to one of the tests. It is your choice whether you want more testing keeping in mind that there is a high rate of false negatives on both blood and biopsy. If you do want more celiac testing you do need the diet when that testing is finished no matter what the results. It can take some time for the joint pain to resolve, it was about a couple of months gluten free for me before my arthritis was in 'remission' but some notice a difference sooner.

Archived