This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Startiing Out, Sort Of

Cpl.Klinger

Cpl.Klinger Newbie

So, I've been feeling crappy for a long time now, and finally have been fed up enough about it to do something about it. About 4 years ago, I started having issues with hemorrhoids. I had an Upper GI/Colonoscopy to rule anything else out, and both were negative, save for a few polyps they took out that were all very small. That problem has continued, but it changed shortly after that. I have since had:

• Horrifically bad gas, in volume and smell
  • Consistent stomach aches
  • Thin, pasty stools that explode to a cloud when flushing
  • Intermittent constipation (from going every day to 6 days between movements)
  • Headaches on a daily basis
  • Fatigue no matter how many hours I sleep
  • Irritability and mood swings
  • Generally haven't felt like myself
  • And the brain fog everyone mentions

I have also had hypothyroidism since 2004. I started on 75 mcg levothyroxine, but got moved up to 100 mcg on my last set of blood work.

So, I went for my normal yearly checkup two weeks ago, and gathered the courage to talk to my doctor seriously about what's going on. She was the one I saw originally over the hemorrhoids, and since things changed since then and I didn't really do any research on my own, I just went along with what she thought should be done. A year ago when I brought it up, she had me do stool samples and a full hepatic profile, but of course that didn't really show a whole lot. This year though, I came armed with research and info, and to my surprise, she was totally willing to listen and go along with what I thought should be done. No arguments. I could have died at how easy it was, based on some stories I've read lurking here.

So last week I had a whole lot of blood work done, including the tTG-IgA and the EMA-IgA. I think there was another one but can't for the life of me recall what it was. I also have a Gastro appointment Tuesday. I'm pretty much committed to doing the diet regardless of the results, as I tried it on my wife's suggestion about three months ago for a few weeks and noticed a difference within days on pretty much every symptom. My wife is going to do it with me (for support and to help her diet).

I'm grateful to have found this forum as I've been able to convince myself that this is more than just nothing, and it gives me hope to know that pretty soon, I'll be on the way to feeling a lot better. Once I have lab results, I'll definitely be back to post them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beachbirdie Contributor

I'm grateful to have found this forum as I've been able to convince myself that this is more than just nothing, and it gives me hope to know that pretty soon, I'll be on the way to feeling a lot better. Once I have lab results, I'll definitely be back to post them.

Hi, Cpl. Klinger (big M*A*S*H fan here!),

Welcome!

I do hope you will be feeling great soon, and that you get things sorted out okay. I can only say what many have said on this forum, if the diet is contributing to improved well-being, keep at it, it's worth it!

beachbirdie

Archived