reenag

I Challenged Myself And Now I'm Paying For It.

Rate this topic

Hi everyone. So I have never been diagnosed with celiac. I gave up wheat generally many years ago, and then was tested for celiac (negative) a few time, but wasn't eating gluten regulary. In beginning of March i gave up gluten completely- total elimination. I noticed that I was better, but then realized that something was still bothering me. I think it soy bothers me some too. So I gave up soy (I eat a lot of soy) and thought, i better try to eat some bread to make sure it was not just the soy all that time. Well I ate half a piece of bread on saturday night and I'm paying for it. I don't get D, but I get so bloated it hurts and when I eat anything at all the boating comes back with a vengance. My stomach feels "sour", the worst part is that the symptoms are still full on. They came on strongest last night (24 hours after eating) and are still going strong. about 10 hours after eating the bread I had pain in my stomach, that went away and the bloating came on strong. My stomach also gurgles a lot.

I just want to know if 1. other people who are not celiac have similar symptoms. 2. has anyone on here who is not celiac tried to reintrotudce wheat or gluten later on and have been successful and 3. how long will these symptoms last? :( I ask non-celiacs because everything I have read says that if you are just "intolerant" you are not damaging your intestines.

I'm so frustrated. I was doing so well and now i feel like this is such a set back. any words or wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks

There are likely many 'gluten intolerants' who are labeled that way simply because they either tested a false negative on testing or were never formally tested. You really don't know whether you have celiac or 'gluten intolerance' but you do know that your body clearly doesn't want you consuming gluten.

Are you doing damage to your body? I would say yes from your description of what is going on. Sometimes D can be delayed up to a week so you may still find yourself being hit with D in a couple of days. If that is the case you may get some relief after that. Some of us find Pepto Bismal to be helpful with the pain. Hopefully the reaction will be over for you soon.

i better try to eat some bread to make sure it was not just the soy all that time. Well I ate half a piece of bread on saturday night and I'm paying for it.

I feel your pain! I had pizza last Wednesday and my belly expanded several trouser sizes. I couldn't put on my trousers properly until four days after the event. Now, six days afterwards, I can put on my trousers, but I'm still quite bloated.

Get this - I'm in my 40s and, until I had a colonic a couple of years ago, which zapped my bloating, combined with having started gluten free, I thought I was fat most of my life. It was just bloat from gluten intolerance / celiac.