Rate this topic

My son (11) was diagnosed in Feb. with Celiac. As a result the family (4 of us) went gluten free. We all feel better on the diet and my DH who has ulcerative colitis noticed a huge change for the better. Our home is gluten free. My son still has pale stool, they never completely returned to normal. Sunday we ate at a friends house who said everything was gluten-free. My son didn't seem to react but today his stool was extra pale. I'm worried. Does the stool ever return to normal color?

I think bile is what gives your poop color. It's made in the liver and held by the gall bladder. Check into that. It seems common around here for Celiacs to have gall bladder troubles.

Thanks,

I put a call into the pediatric gastroenterologist. Still waiting for reply.

With my second son we had more stool issues (his main symptom was constipation with pale, sticky stools). These did take awhile to normalize. He's just over a year and a half on the gluten-free diet and it's been in the last 6 months that they looked the most normal. We did have a gluten issue within the first 6 months (getting it from an unknown source) that may have slowed down this normalization.