okaretta

Need Help W/ Interpreting My Labs Please

Rate this topic

Can someone please help me with attempting to interpret these results? My doctor says he is uncertain what they mean since only one was positive--he said I could go to a GI doctor but I am currently uninsured and have very little income. I know a biopsy is the only official way to diagnose Celiac Disease but from these I do not even know if I need a biopsy or if I am looking in the wrong direction.

Antigliadin IgA Antibody -- < 3

Reference Range:

Negative: <11

Equivocal: 11-17

Positive: > 17

Antigliadin IgG Antibody -- 27

Reference Range:

Negative: <11

Equivocal: 11-17

Positive: > 17

Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody -- < 3

Reference Range:

Negative: < 5

Equivocal: 5-8

Positive: > 8

Antiendomysial Ab, IgA -- negative

Reference range is stated as negative.

Endomysial Antibody Titer

Reference range: Less than 1:5

My result says to "see note" for the EAT but I actually do not see a note. I do notice at the bottom of this particular test it says "TNP--screening test negative or not detected. Titer not performed." I am not sure what this is in reference to, though.

I am wondering if I could be IgA deficient. Or, do I need more lab done to determine this? I simply don't know and am clueless on what to do. :-(

I had a bone density scanning done in 2008 and it was -1.1. I was 25 years old. I had one done before that and I just remember being told it was "bad". I have a very dairy-rich diet (and gluten-rich one, too). I have no clue why I have what seems to be osteopenia. I am a very active person and of normal weight. I have no other health issues other than hypothyroidism and mild asthma. Since childhood I have had chronic constipation (sometimes I do not go for days, as in, I lose count), urinary frequency (over 20 times a day) and a potassium level that runs right at 3.5. I occasionally have anemia but this last test did not reflect any anemia (I was dehydrated though). Many of the other symptoms of Celiac I have including occasional abdominal pain, serious bloating after meals (I actually look pregnant after eating and I hate this) and serious flatulence which is horribly embarrassing and even to a degree impacts my social life. I recently found out that my thyroid medication needed to be increased (same time I had the Celiac Panel done). Hard to say what is causing my fatigue, joint pain, since both conditions can cause this. I do not often experience diarrhea. I have GERD but gave up on treating it since I have no pain from it and Nexium failed to stop it after 3 months.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm sorry I don't have advice...just support! I'm in the same boat! I have negative bloodwork, positive biopsy, anemia, osteopenia and dehydration and low potassium! My doctor is at a loss. I have an appointment at a celiac clinic in Boston next week and can't wait! Good luck to you- please send any info you get!

Too bad your doctor didn't do a total IGA. If you are IGA deficient then those tests could well be a false negative. You do have a positive IGG which is what doctors would go by if you are lacking IGA. You do sound like you could be one of us. When you are done with testing do give the diet a good strict try and your doctor could rerun the IGG in 6 months or so to see if those numbers have gone down.

Thanks guys. I have decided to go ahead and begin the diet. It may be months or even over a year before I have insurance and I just cannot afford to pay out of pocket for things like a biopsy. I do not think I should wait for the diagnosis before starting the diet since my osteopenia is of great concern. I am really thinking I am IgA deficient, especially given the IgA tests above were "less than 3" which technically could mean they are zero. I have many of the signs and symptoms of IgA deficiency, too. Hopefully soon I will have insurance and can have the needed testing--just will hate having to restart a gluten diet!

Can anyone recommend a good bread? I know gluten-free bread is usually found in the freezer section but once bought do you need to continue freezing it or can you leave it out, at least for the day if you have a sandwich made? I didn't see any direction on the bread I bought.

I'm pretty new to the whole gluten free thing, but Udi's bread is really very good. I keep it frozen. When I want to eat a couple of slices for a sandwich or whatever, I just break them off the frozen loaf and heat them a minute of 2 in the toaster.

I like the Udi's also. I keep mine frozen until I need a loaf (my store runs out a lot so I always buy at least 2). I then let it thaw in the frig and usually toast it before I eat it but it seems to be okay for a sandwich even untoasted.

Kinnickinnick is also good. That one I leave frozen and only pull out what I am using right then.