Rate this topic

My sister in law was not able to give my nephew oatmeal because his Physician said it contained gluten. This didn't make sense to me so I did a little investigating. It turns out that while oatmeal does not contain gluten, the majority of the brands out there are made in facilities which are not gluten free. Luckily, I went to my local health food store to see if there was such a thing as gluten free oatmeal and they had instant oatmeal in different flavors! I bought them all!!! My nephew is so excited about having something new in his diet that he's been asking to eat oatmeal for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the past two weeks. LOL!

Keep in mind that even 10% of celiacs DO react to oatmeal because the protein in oats is similar to that in wheat. Even if they don't, the research recommends no more than half a cup of oats a day for a celiac.

I went and bought Bob's Red Mill gluten-free steel cut oats for my son who was recently diagnosed (and loves oatmeal). He gobbled it down and asked for more, but as I went to get the second bowl he started having a stomach ache. I think I will try one more time to see if it was a gluten response or that he ate too fast. Hoping for the 2nd, but I fear he may be part of the 10%.