JH85

So Very Depressed Today

Rate this topic

So not only did I finally get blood drawn yesterday to get an official diagnoses after most symptoms clearing after going gluten free. My doctor is pretty convinced, as am I, that I also have ataxia which I hear can be brought on by celiacs disease. Also I have been on lithium for about 8 years and as of 3-4 months ago it has been increased and high levels of lithium can also cause Ataxia, as can a lack of b12 which I also have had within the last 3-4 months. I am going to see a neurologist as soon has he calls me that is. To get a look inside to see a) if i actually have anything up there. B) if its ataxia and c) my doctor says there is a chance it could be early on set MS. :( :( :( :( just needed to vent to someone who won't spread it around the tiny town I live in until things are fully understood. Thanks guys

How long have you been gluten free? If it is more than a day or two it is likely your test will be a false negative. Even on a full gluten diet there are high rates of false negatives.

Ataxia is tough and it does have symptoms that are very similiar to MS. I was thought to have MS for quite a while. The good news is that gluten free your ataxia should get some relief if not disappear totally but it does take some time.

Celiac can also cause issues that include symptoms that are bipolar like. Those also may resolve gluten-free. But again it does take time and being really strict with the diet.

It took about 6 months for me to see relief in the ataxia but I had been ataxic for many years before diagnosis. Mood issues for me resolved much more quickly although I do still have some problems they are due to life situations and are much less severe now most of the time.

Do address the low B12, if your doctor has not put you on injections get some for sure gluten free sublingual B12. Your damaged body won't absorb it through swallowed pills but the sublinguals go into your system through the mucous membranes in your mouth bypassing the damaged gut.

I know things are tough right now but don't give up. There are high rates of false negatives with testing so do give the diet a good strict try for a few months even if testing is negative.

Ravenwoodglass is exactly right and she is the right person to advise you because she's been where you are. There are others here who had "diagnoses" of bipolar, MS or ataxia who had full or partial relief - so Raven is not the only one who had good results.

Hang in there. I second the sublingual B12: I find that if I skip it for a few days, I can really feel that my energy is down and that I am "off". If your small town doesn't have it, you can probably order it online.