This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Another Indication?

momxyz

momxyz Contributor

This very well could be a topic that should be posted elsewhere, but my "presenting symptom" almost three years ago was an itchy rash, so that's why its here.

I know its not good to self diagnose, but at the same time I was dealing with the rash, I was helping my daughter through her problems. Long story I've told previously, won't repeat. But whenever I suggested to one of her physicians that gluten might be a contributing factor, I was either patronized or looked like I was one of those looney parents. When it finally entered my thought processes that my itchy itchy rash was possibly gluten related, I was not confident of an open perspective from my own physician (I had recently changed drs), did not want to deal with a negative response, nor did I want to incur any more expenses. That summer was a bad time for my family on several fronts. So I just went gluten free. (along with my daughter).

That was a little over two years ago, and my rash healed slowly over time; still have a couple of light purple spots but those are fading.

Every once in a while, I experience some regret that I never pursued testing. Even though I had begun to experience at the time of the rash, other things that you can string together like so many pearls (feeling occasional tingling in my hands, bone scan indicated slight osteopaenia, had been hypothyroid for several years.) And the fact that the tingling went away completely and the rash began to improve after only a few weeks on the diet. I look at these things and say, what more proof do I need?

Lately I have been feeling regretful/doubtful again, and this morning I had to go to the dentist. I hate going to the dentist. Its no fun for me, its like a torture chamber. My gums have been borderline for many years, some areas of recession, and they tend to bleed easily during cleanings. As they scrape away the tartar I get the lecture about not flossing enough...

Today was very different. No bleeding. No massive scraping session. It was the easiest cleaning I have had since....since I can remember. The hygienest said my gums looked much better, had I been flossing more regularly?

I nodded dumbly yes, but the truth is, I haven't! In fact the past few months, probably less! go figure.

I think, somewhere, I have read about a link between peridontal problems and gluten/celiac. Is this wishful thinking, or could it be another pearl/piece of evidence, supporting my self diagnosis?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Voix Rookie

It absolutely could! Congrats on another improvement.

Archived