NewToGlutenFreeLife

Vegan With Celiac & Other Sensitivities-Help

Rate this topic

I began the elimination diet 2 weeks ago. In addition to my lifelong vegan diet (no meat, fish, eggs or dairy) I also eliminated nightshades, caffeine, sugars (except a bit of agave), peanuts, soy, corn and gluten. I felt weird on the diet but within days lost my bloating, GI issues,body aches and the constant itching in my ears. I also felt cleaner and clearer mentally. Then a Dr recommended blood testing & told me to add back in all the food I eliminated. I began with wheat (asian pasta noodles with stir-fry) and was very ill immediately (diarrhea, passing tons of mucous stools, vomiting, body aches, bloating, and general sense of irritation from mouth to rectum-sorry for details). So I went back to elimination diet & but the symptoms are continuing (except vomiting & the diarrhea is altering with constipation). Now I'm wondering if I should just fast a while...also concerned I may be allergic to something I'm still eating (almonds, cashews, sesame, azuki beans and gluten-free almond butter are my only proteins now). All I had was 1/2 cup of rice cereal this morning (gluten-free organic) and a little hemp milk & I feel bloating & like I'm not digesting. I am back in bed :(

I can only suggest eliminating ALL grains (including rice) and beans. In reading about how our digestive systems have developed and evolved over time, I've learned that humans simply cannot eat these particular foods. Because you're a vegan, you would probably not consider reading about the primal/paleo diet...but if you're interested in getting to the bottom of what might be causing your symptoms, the book "Primal Body, Primal Mind" is outstanding and deals with the biochemistry involved with eating certain foods. Most of your diet seems to already dovetail with those foods that are eliminated in this type of diet, except for rice and beans, but your diet also lacks some foods that are essential for good health. As with all diets, in order to enjoy good health, you have to both include certain foods and eliminate others. I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so ill...

• Upvote 1

Can you get allergy testing? I don't want to suggest foods or recipes that might make you sick.

One of the things that comes to mind is avacados. High in hopefully good fat and calories and on the list of most non reactive foods. That might be the best thing to search.

Can you get allergy testing? I don't want to suggest foods or recipes that might make you sick.

One of the things that comes to mind is avacados. High in hopefully good fat and calories and on the list of most non reactive foods. That might be the best thing to search.

I might do allergy testing next week but since I'm not eating all these foods they might not show correct results...

Thanks for the tip....avocados, yum!

I can only suggest eliminating ALL grains (including rice) and beans. In reading about how our digestive systems have developed and evolved over time, I've learned that humans simply cannot eat these particular foods. Because you're a vegan, you would probably not consider reading about the primal/paleo diet...but if you're interested in getting to the bottom of what might be causing your symptoms, the book "Primal Body, Primal Mind" is outstanding and deals with the biochemistry involved with eating certain foods. Most of your diet seems to already dovetail with those foods that are eliminated in this type of diet, except for rice and beans, but your diet also lacks some foods that are essential for good health. As with all diets, in order to enjoy good health, you have to both include certain foods and eliminate others. I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so ill...

Thank you for your tips. My spiritual beliefs prevent me from eating animals. I have been doing better- adding probiotics, homemade almond yoguart and ferments foods has helped.