This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Possible Symptom?

Mjohnson73

Mjohnson73 Apprentice

Hey all,

My son had a very wierd thing happen today... he has had it happen in the past but I never put 2 and 2 together....(we are trying to figure out if he has a gluten intolerance.. he is very short for his age and very small)

We went to TGI Fridays where he had the Mac and Cheese.. which i know is not gluten-free... and then we went to go pick up the car and all of the sudden my son was standing in the

waiting room and he started to clutch his tummy (now he has used "My tummy hurts" in the past for attention)... and he started to cry, (he is 6)... and said "My tummy hurts!" and when I asked him how it hurt, he said "like someone is squeezing it"..... then we get home and about 3 hours later he comes upstairs from playing in the basement (we have an office down there) and says "I pooped in my pants" and when i asked him when he did that he said "When we went to go get the car and i couldn't make it in time..." (now he didn't tell me at the time that he had pooped in his pants but it was dry when I looked now....)

Might this be a symptom?? I know it is for me...(the stomach cramps)...

any ideas??

I am planning on calling his Dr. tomorrow and seeing about getting him tested for Celiac ..but hubby thinks I am just being paranoid about seeing symptoms that aren't there and that I am clutching at straws so to speak to get a diagnosis about why he is so little...

--Maya

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

robbiesmom Rookie

Hi! I do not think you are paranoid about your son being a possible celiac. I would do everything in my power to find out if something is wrong with my child! Has he consistently had tummy issues? Maybe he wasn't faking it before? If he has consistent issues for the next week or so I would definitely look into it. He is well otherwise, right? My son just has bad stools on a daily basis and is very small as well. Also he has more issues with Pastas and cereals. We had a biopsy today so we'll know for sure in another week.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Upper abdominal pain is one of my main symptoms of a gluten injestion. I think that it would be a good idea to get your son tested.

Merika Contributor

Get your son tested. It will give you and your family useful information and help you pick which path to go. There are other illnesses which cause short stature too. You may want to google around with the term "short stature" and "disease".

In my Jr High there was a girl who had some rare disease that wasn't caught til right about then and her height was permanently stunted from it. If it'd been caught earlier, I think she may have grown more. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of her illness....(it was a long time ago, lol!).

Merika

chasesparents Rookie

Maya-

I would just get him tested for peace of mind.

My son used to be absolutely MISERABLE after eating pasta, so bad that he would cry and cry and cry until he threw up. He only seemed to react really badly to pasta though, he never had that bad of a reaction after eating bread, crackers or cereal.

He too was very skinny, and tiny for his age. After going gluten-free he gained 5 lbs and grew 3 inches !!!!! In less then 7 months !!!!!! It amazed me !!!

Well, I wish you the best of luck !!!!!!

Sarah

Archived