sreese68

Challenging Soy - Do I Have This Right?

Rate this topic

I've had soy out of my diet for 4 months at least. (removed it during a large elimination diet, not because I suspected problems) I want to test it, so I can increase my restaurant options since we're traveling a couple of times in the next month.

OK, so from reading here, I understand that people can have different reactions to different types of soy foods. Or react to one form and not another. So I should probably test soy 4 different ways(?):

soybean oil

gluten-free soy sauce (since it's fermented)

edamame

soy lecithin

And I do know that I need to space the tests out by a week give or take. :) Anyway, am I on the right track?

Thanks!

Sharon

I've had soy out of my diet for 4 months at least. (removed it during a large elimination diet, not because I suspected problems) I want to test it, so I can increase my restaurant options since we're traveling a couple of times in the next month.

OK, so from reading here, I understand that people can have different reactions to different types of soy foods. Or react to one form and not another. So I should probably test soy 4 different ways(?):

soybean oil

gluten-free soy sauce (since it's fermented)

edamame

soy lecithin

And I do know that I need to space the tests out by a week give or take. :) Anyway, am I on the right track?

Thanks!

Sharon

I don't know what the right answer is but sounds like a plan to me. If you do react, you may consider waiting a bit longer than a week, but see how it goes.

With any food, not just soy, it is possible to react to various forms/methods of preparation. For example cooked forms are generally tolerated better than raw but some people cannot have cooked either. I would not have thought that I react to the oils, my allergist said generally people tolerate the oils because they don't have the proteins, but I seem to be reacting to oils and found that expeller cold pressed oils are more problematic than those that are more processed or processed other ways. I avoided soy for ages(because of pos, allergy test), maybe a year and the did not do a re-introduction challenge but was low on groceries and had some salad dressing with soy oil on hand and thought won't hurt just a bit so had it for 2 days in a row and got unusual patches show up on my skin. Recently I figured out I react to sunflower in many forms including oil, who knew?

Here's my two cents. I've been soy free for over 18 months, except for an occasional dark chocolate. I don't crave soy, so I keep avoiding it. I think (but don't know) that it's related to thyroid disorders. It made me so sick before, and I like sticking with foods that didn't make me sick.

I used to wish I had soy sauce for stir fries. A reasonable substitute is the juice of a lime with a tsp. of fish sauce and a bit of agave syrup, or a tsp. of brown (or white) sugar or honey. Coconut amminos are ok, but not as good as the other substitute.'

Sometimes I miss the convenience of a prepared mayo. But I like eating purer foods, and that's kept my weight in check, along with my cholesterol levels.

Good luck, let us know how it goes with your soy challenge.

Sometimes I miss the convenience of a prepared mayo.

I use Whole Foods 365 mayo. I also need mustard-free mayo and that's HARD to find but this one is free of soy and mustard.

I use Whole Foods 365 mayo. I also need mustard-free mayo and that's HARD to find but this one is free of soy and mustard.

Thank you. I had a problem with Spectrum canola oil mayo, and none of the other mayo's work. It's 30 miles to the nearest Whole Foods, maybe I'll make a road trip. :D