alicewa

When People Get Type 1 Diabetes, Do They Feel 'tingling' In Their Pancreas?

Rate this topic

When people get type 1 diabetes, do they feel 'tingling' in their pancreas? My sister told me she thinks she could feel hints of it in the area.

Yesterday I had a mars bar with barley malt in it. I didn't really feel that unwell from it but I noticed I had monetary 'tingles' in my intestines which seem to occur after gluten. I also had a slightly stuffy nose.

I'd be interested in whether the autoimmune process that affects the pancreatic islet is silent or if it's noticeable like in celiac.

I was diagnosed with late-onset autoimmune diabetes in spring of 1986 at age 31. I had obvious symptoms. I had been losing weight intentionally on a low-carb diet, and began eating "normal" foods again. My weight loss increased. At first I thought I was urinating a lot because I was drinking a lot of liquids. Then the penny dropped. I was urinating a lot to get rid of blood sugar via my kidneys, and drinking to re-hydrate myself.

I called the doctor and told him I thought that I had diabetes (mother and great-grandmother had it). Blood test confirmed it.

I did not have any other symptoms beyond weight loss and excessive thirst and urination. I did not experience any tingling anywhere in my body. I do know that tingling in peripheral areas (feet or hands) can be a symptom.

I would suspect the malt as the cause. Diabetes is a silent killer.

I asked my relatives who also have T1 and they said there was absolutely no 'tingling' or odd sensations felt in the pancreas area prior to diagnosis either. I thought there would be seeing as though celiac can be co painful for some. Perhaps there aren't as many nerves connected to the brain or something.

Is it also possible that some members of the family can become celiac but not type 1 diabetic and others type 1 diabetic but not celiac? Seems like none in our family have both but most first degree relatives have 1 or the other.

There is a statistical correlation between type 1 diabetes and celiac disease, but they are independent of each other. If you have one you are more likely to develop the other, but many people have just one of them.

What Peter said is true but also both often go undx a while. So, I would be hesitant to rule it out in family members unless they've had antibody tests for T1 diabetes or biopsies for celiac disease.

I have slow progressing adult onset T1 and was probably undx for 10 years :o When I was finally dx, I was misdx a T2 but had bottom most level of pancreatic function/insulin production ability in the normal range. My body makes enough insulin to cover a low carb diet of meat and veg. but I need insulin to cover starchy vegetables or faster acting carbs.

I never had that tingling that you mentioned.

What Peter said is true but also both often go undx a while. So, I would be hesitant to rule it out in family members unless they've had antibody tests for T1 diabetes or biopsies for celiac disease.

I have slow progressing adult onset T1 and was probably undx for 10 years :o When I was finally dx, I was misdx a T2 but had bottom most level of pancreatic function/insulin production ability in the normal range. My body makes enough insulin to cover a low carb diet of meat and veg. but I need insulin to cover starchy vegetables or faster acting carbs.

I never had that tingling that you mentioned.

What test should I ask from my doctor (I'm in NZ) to get tested for T1 diabetes antibodies? I recently had a full blood count and things were within normal range.

What test should I ask from my doctor (I'm in NZ) to get tested for T1 diabetes antibodies? I recently had a full blood count and things were within normal range.

I asked for and was tested for GAD. That's the one associated with LADA or T1.5 Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults. I think there are other antibodies for T1 as well and other tests that are often done. An endo will be the one to run those tests. I didn't get several tests that I've heard others get. My docs haven't been on top of things. I've had to ask and advocate for every little test, even to get insulin.

Be aware that the standard fasting blood sugar is not always a good indication of diabetes, nor is any one-time blood sugar number. Mine was normal on testing day and if we had stopped there, I would have gone undx or ended up in the ER. Mine still is normal, with good management, both before and after insulin. The more data the better. I always encourange people to know what the numbers mean and not just accept the docs proclamation of "you passed the test". I asked for an oral glucose tolerance test and that gave us a very clear picture of what was up. Shocked the docs! One of them gasped out loud. Getting a meter and testing and an A1C also give more data than just a 1 time number.

This site is a good resource http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/spindex.php

I asked for and was tested for GAD. That's the one associated with LADA or T1.5 Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults. I think there are other antibodies for T1 as well and other tests that are often done. An endo will be the one to run those tests. I didn't get several tests that I've heard others get. My docs haven't been on top of things. I've had to ask and advocate for every little test, even to get insulin.

Be aware that the standard fasting blood sugar is not always a good indication of diabetes, nor is any one-time blood sugar number. Mine was normal on testing day and if we had stopped there, I would have gone undx or ended up in the ER. Mine still is normal, with good management, both before and after insulin. The more data the better. I always encourange people to know what the numbers mean and not just accept the docs proclamation of "you passed the test". I asked for an oral glucose tolerance test and that gave us a very clear picture of what was up. Shocked the docs! One of them gasped out loud. Getting a meter and testing and an A1C also give more data than just a 1 time number.

This site is a good resource http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/spindex.php

Gee, well now I'm a bit scared. Here were my recent test results (from a while back)

DIABETES MASTER

Insulin 5 mU/L fasting (< 25)

Glucose 5.0 mmol/L fasting (3.0-6.0)

My doctor said that 4.0 mmol/L would be something he'd like to see me down at in the future now that I'm on a gluten free diet. Normal range is in brackets.