GlutenFreeNewB

First Cold Sore Ever - Gluten?

Rate this topic

I am self diagnosed with DH. I've only ever gotten breakouts on my butt, but since going gluten-free, I haven't had one breakout. I got glutened this weekend and have had C and gas all week, but today I woke up with a cold sore on my lip. It looks just like the breakouts on my butt, but it doesn't really itch. Could this be a reaction to gluten also?

Yes, when I get a bit of gluten, I get a ton of weeping sores on my chin and lips. I assume they are cold sores and they are def. from gluten!

Thanks! Just when I think I've got this all figured out, it throws me another loop!

A cold sore (according to the rest if the world) is caused by the herpes simplex virus, which is a totally different condition from DH.

It is very likely you could get a DH lesion on your lip, caused by gluten, that looks almost identical to a "cold sore".

Both of them hurt and are a pain.

Both herpes simplex and DH can be "triggered". DH by gluten, etc. and herpes by an illness, imbalance, etc.

A cold sore (according to the rest if the world) is caused by the herpes simplex virus, which is a totally different condition from DH.

It is very likely you could get a DH lesion on your lip, caused by gluten, that looks almost identical to a "cold sore".

Both of them hurt and are a pain.

Both herpes simplex and DH can be "triggered". DH by gluten, etc. and herpes by an illness, imbalance, etc.

I was kind of thinking that this might be DH on my chin and lips. They itch and ooze liquid and are on my chin and lips and appear 3 days after a glutening. I use to get dh on my knee caps and elbows but now just on my face.