Rate this topic

In the process of diagnosis (blood tests; awaiting scope). Have been eating gluten-free for 3.5 weeks. My symptoms were more ataxia than gastro - numbness, disorientation, trouble walking/talking/seeing, etc. they resolved off of gluten.

I had nothing but 2 packets of gluten free oatmeal Afro breakfast and soon after had a horrible spell of staggering, inability to find words, confusion, spots in vision, numbness, crying while laughing, etc. I crashed for 3 hours and had nonstop nightmares like I did while I was on gluten. I am still numb and wiped out. Any ideas what is up? I guess the oatmeal wasn't okay after all...

Thanks!

When you say gluten-free I assume you mean certified gluten-free?

Well, if so you are cross-reactive to oats which I believe is called avenin intolerance/allergy.

Be careful of gluten-free products that contain gluten-free oats.

There are others here with the same problem.

Yes they were gluten free certified. Anyone else have the ataxia? It is a little unnerving.

Yep. Just not from oats.

Yes, its unnerving. My reaction isn't as sudden or as severe as yours, though.

I cannot eat oats for that reason and for stomach problems. A lot of people intolerant to gluten also can't stomach oats. I'd just cut them out. Try cream of rice or rice pudding instead. :)