MomOfTwins98

Celiac, Anorexia, Or Both?

Rate this topic

I'm new to this forum. My 13-year old daughter was just recently diagnosed with celiac disease. Her blood test was showing the following results:

Celiac Disease Panel

Endomysial Antibody IgA --- Positive ----- Abnormal

t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA --- 20 ---------- High

Then, she had the Small Intensine Biopsy done. The Pathology Report has the following note: "The findings are mild, focal and non-specific. Possible etiologies include celiac disease as well as other immune-mediated processes, infection, peptic injury and medications. However, in the appropriate clinical setting, with appropriate serologic findings, these factors are compatible with celiac disease"

Do the above results indicate celiac beyond any doubt? The words "mild, focal and non-specific" are confusing to me...

My D was diagnosed with Anorexia in the beginning of November. She had a lot of classic signs of anorexia (big weight loss, preoccupation with fat content of food, excessive exercise). Once diagnosed with AN, we started refeeding at home using a Maudsley approach. She started eating normally with no problems at all (same amounts as prior to getting sick). Then, as we started increasing the number of calories, she still wasn't gaining any weight. Last week, she started a day program for eating disorders (lost more weight in the preparation for colonoscopy/endoscopy testing), and it became very clear to me that she doesn't quite belong there - unlike other girls, she doesn't have distorted body image, she is eating quite a lot (but refusing some type of foods), not really depressed. Sometime during the process, the pediatrician ordered the above blood test, and based on abnormal results, we met with a GI doctor who later performed the biopsy. Few days ago we received the results of the biopsy, based on which it was concluded that she does have celiac disease. We started the gluten-free diet 2 days ago. Now, I can't stop wondering whether she has anorexia, and if so, will the gluten free diet be helpful with the weight gain. Anyone encountered similar scenerio?

Those results would have me convinced it's celiac. There are a few other things that can bring up tTG, but it's not common. EMA is highly specific to celiac disease. If she's going to have the endoscopy as well make sure it happens right away or she stays on gluten until it is done.

People thought my daughter had anorexia, but it turned out she just needed the GAPS diet to get her eating again. She used to be so picky (and hated fat, loved sugar!), but the dietary changes helped her sensory processing issues and made a *huge* difference. Now she loves to eat.