MJ_S

Wheat In Japan

Rate this topic

This article doesn't ever mention gluten, but I thought people on this board may find it interesting:

Wheat in Japan

This article doesn't ever mention gluten, but I thought people on this board may find it interesting:

Wheat in Japan

Thanks for that. Fascinating, I had no idea. I would like to know more about that bread maker.

Ugh. I found some info on the bread maker. You have to add 50g of wheat gluten to the recipe. :blink:

It says it has a wheat-free setting where you can substitute a rice flour called Joshinko for the gluten but it would just be rice bread. I bet my normal gluten-free bread recipes are better.

http://www.japangoodsfinder.com/products/#ecwid:mode=product&product=5596775

Thanks for posting, very interesting story. After 30 yeas in and out of japan, I've found all sorts of no wheat crackers and even some breads in health food shops but the focus on meriken-ko is still strong. Why they add wheat to 7-11 & Family Mart onigiri is beyond me. I went to a seminar in 2005 where there were something like 12 cases of celiac. In 2007, just over 20,000. Hate to think of what it is today thanks to the western diet.

Wheat in Japan