This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help Me With My Initial Blood Tests Please!

seattlejoy

seattlejoy Rookie

I'm 99% sure I have Celiacs but I need some confirmation help because I know it is easy to misread tests. You see, my new naturopath is out of town for a week and I kind of pressured the receptionist to fax me my bloodwork from my initial appointment a week ago because I didn't want to wait 2 weeks to find out if my anemia is better and how my thyroid is doing. I worked for years in a naturopathic practice as a medical assistant so I am familiar with basic test results.

I was shocked to see these high and positive numbers on the Celiac tests! I don't know much about Celiacs other than my research today and the obvious gluten-free diets that are connected to the disease. But now that I read about symptoms it describes me SO well.

Here are my results if anyone can help confirm.

Celiac Serology-

TT IgA- 129.6 H U/mL (>10.0 is positive)

Gliadin (Deamidated Peptide) IgA- 113.8 H Index (>30 mod to strong positive)

Gliadin IgG- 57.5 (>30 mod to strong positive)

Reticulin IGA antibody screen with reflex to titer= POSITIVE 1:40

Endomysial antibody screen with reflex to titer= POSITIVE 1:160

I also have low platelets, low vitamin D (I take 10,000IU a day!), low thyroid, low iron

Thank you for any interpretation/advice you can provide!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Christine0125 Contributor

Well... I am no expert but those results look very positive. My ttg numbers were lower and the doc had no doubt it was celiac disease.

Skylark Collaborator

Wow, you are celiac without any question. You could ask for a biopsy, but there isn't much point. Endomysial IgA and deamidated gliadin IgG are both better than 98% specific, and you are high positive on both tests. EVERYTHING is positive so there's really no question of lab error either.

Welcome to the gluten-free club. All the cool kids are here. B)

beachbirdie Contributor

I'm 99% sure I have Celiacs but I need some confirmation help because I know it is easy to misread tests. You see, my new naturopath is out of town for a week and I kind of pressured the receptionist to fax me my bloodwork from my initial appointment a week ago because I didn't want to wait 2 weeks to find out if my anemia is better and how my thyroid is doing. I worked for years in a naturopathic practice as a medical assistant so I am familiar with basic test results.

I was shocked to see these high and positive numbers on the Celiac tests! I don't know much about Celiacs other than my research today and the obvious gluten-free diets that are connected to the disease. But now that I read about symptoms it describes me SO well.

Celiac Serology-

I also have low platelets, low vitamin D (I take 10,000IU a day!), low thyroid, low iron

Ummm...not much to interpret here. Your results leave no doubt, you are quite positive for celiac.

Nutritional deficiencies like Vitamin D, Iron, protein, are very common with celiac. Hopefully as you start your gluten-free journey, you will heal well and not need to supplement so heavily.

pain*in*my*gut Apprentice

Celiac Serology-

Whoa!! I have never seen such positive test results for Celiac! No doubt about it, you have Celiac. Are you going to have the biopsy? I would think the only reason to do one would be to see how much damage there is, definitely not for confirmation of Celiac. You got it! Welcome to the club! :)

seattlejoy Rookie

Thank you all! I feel so lucky to have found this out. If I'm going to have a disease, this is the one to have. 100% treated by food? Are you kidding me? No drugs, therapy, procedures, surgeries... Instead of always treating all these other ailments I have which are ALL Celiac symptoms, I can actually heal myself at home. Potentially heal all the ailments with one treatment. Incredible.

Since I haven't been able to talk to my doctor I have another question...

I have been gluten free since reading my results and I want to do a healing type of cleanse (I had gotten it last week before I even knew about having Celiacs). The cleanse is made up of bentonite clay, ph balancer and whole foods- fruits and veggies.

Should I be waiting to see if my doc wants additional tests before I start modifying my diet and healing my gut?

I'm not sure about the biopsy. I would like to know how advanced the disease is and how much damage I have. It does freak me out that I am that much closer to cancer and other diseases. Does the biopsy give you a number or something?

How long until I start to feel better?

I breastfeed and wonder how that goes along with this. I imagine I have been giving most of the nutrients I absorb to my baby.

Archived