Scott Adams

Majority of restaurateurs and chefs fail celiac test - QSRweb.com

Rate this topic

Majority of restaurateurs and chefs fail celiac test

QSRweb.com

Chefs and restaurateurs lack a fundamental understanding of gluten-free protocols, according to the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness (NFCA), a non-profit organization dedicated to raising awareness and improving the lives of those with celiac ...

and more »

View the full article

Sad, sad, very sad.

You know what makes me nervous about that questionnaire? The "3 grains" bit.

Because I've eaten at a restaurant (a very high-end reputable Cekiac-safe one) where they wanted to serve me regular oats.

And most people don't know that the other grains we hear about - spelt, etc. are varieties of wheat - therefore may think they are safe.

Just my 0.02.

Amen!

LOL. More CYA by Alice Bast and NFCA after the Domino's Pizza Debacle and their "Amber" designation.

Look carefully at the mistake with this quote from that link:

"When most people dine out, they expect a meal that's safe to eat. Individuals with gluten-related disorders don't have that luxury," said Alice Bast, founder and president of NFCA.

If you read that literally, she's saying that individuals with gluten - related disorders won't be able to expect a meal that's safe to eat. :ph34r: Well DUH, Ms. Bast and NFCA, thanks to your initially giving a misleading "Amber" rating to a non gluten free pizza from Domino's, which Dominos CONTINUES to call "gluten free," (with a disclaimer) you've just made life a bit more difficult for those with celiac, gluten intolerance, and a medical need to eat a true gluten free diet.

Domino's continues to say "NFCA "on their disclaimer. NFCA's response, which I dug out of a twitter stream yesterday is that one should refer all inquiries to Domino's. GIG apparently is doing the ostrich, and deleting all their facebook discussions of this gluten free mislabeling, after soliciting comments. Domino's gluten free pizza continues to be not gluten free, but gluten - lite, and unsafe for celiacs.

This means that concerned private individuals have to continue to spread the word. I HAVE gotten a safe meal from restaurants with a caring staff which probably have never heard from NFCA, thank heavens ! I continue to deeply appreciate their efforts to keep their customers happy, and give them a safe dining experience.