Rate this topic

Does anyone else have the problem of very dry lips with their children? My son's lips have been very dry for months (ever since his last bout with a respiratory infection and his doctor prescribed Prednisone). His lips are not chapped and painful, they just get very dry and 'puckered'. They also peel often. When we first went gluten/dairy free a couple of weeks ago, they seemed to be better, but today the puckered lips are back. He drinks plenty and won't let me put anything on them (when I do, he wipes it off making it worse then putting nothing on).

Does anyone else have the problem of very dry lips with their children? My son's lips have been very dry for months (ever since his last bout with a respiratory infection and his doctor prescribed Prednisone). His lips are not chapped and painful, they just get very dry and 'puckered'. They also peel often. When we first went gluten/dairy free a couple of weeks ago, they seemed to be better, but today the puckered lips are back. He drinks plenty and won't let me put anything on them (when I do, he wipes it off making it worse then putting nothing on).

My youngest daughter has had dry, cracked lips for her entire 7 years. We had been prescribed Elidel to treat it and we've tried everything from straight Vaseline, to chap sticks but nothing worked. When we walked into our GI's office for our first appointment after recieving positive Celiac blood tests, the doctor told me right away that the cracked, dry lips is a vitamin B12 deficiency. I was blown away because both our pediatrician and dermatologist never figured that out. Our daughters lips are far better now but it just came with time and the gluten free diet. Elidel really helped if we were really disciplined about applying it every night. We were told not to use a B12 supplement(not really sure why). I hope that helps! Best of luck to you.

We were told not to use a B12 supplement(not really sure why).

That is very interesting. I wonder why?

I am thinking that we are having a rebound or something today. My son woke up with the really dry lips and for some reason his allergies were out of control, even with his Singular. His nose has been extremely stuffy, yet runny (poor guy has a sore under it just from today). And to top it all off, his behavior! Let's just say that our 'little terror' was back full force today! I wonder if his sisters snuck him a snack yesterday or something?! Thanks for the info on the lips!