Chanahan_6

Help - Chocolate And Carmael Syrup

Rate this topic

Help!! I bought the Walmart brand of Chocolate and Caramel syrup to use on a dessert tonight. I called Wal mart earlier but they wanted the bar code to confirm and I wasn't at home. Get home and their customer service line is closed. It says Natural and Artificial flavours but at the end all it says is contain sulfites - i feel like it's fine because if they said contains sulfites i feel they would have put wheat if it was in there. Anybody had their chocolate or caramel syrup in Canada with no issues?

While "natural flavors" can contain gluten, they very rarely actually do. The most likely source would be barley malt, and that is a relatively expensive ingredient, so it is usually explicitly declared as "malt flavor."

If there were wheat in it, in the US (and Canada) it would be required by law to be disclosed as just that, "wheat."

Shelley Case on flavorings:

It would be rare to find a "natural or artificial flavoring" containing gluten (a) because hydrolyzed wheat protein cannot be hidden under the term "flavor." and (B) barley malt extract is almost always declared as "barley malt extract" or "barley malt flavoring." For this reason, most experts do not restrict natural and artificial flavorings in the gluten-free diet.

Gluten-Free Diet - A Comprehensive Resource Guide, published 2008, page 46

Following on that, if there is a "Contains" statement it must list all allergens. Wheat has been one for years, but in less than one month, Canada will include rye, barley, oats and mustard. Your package likely already follows the August 4, 2012, version of the label regulations.