This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yoga

~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

Does any one do yoga to help with GI symptoms? If so, what type and could you recommend a dvd to use that you enjoy?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Newbee Contributor

I have a DVD called Yoga Therapy Prescriptions with Laura Hawes. It has yoga sequences it says are helpful for different health conditions. It doesn

I have a DVD called Yoga Therapy Prescriptions with Laura Hawes. It has yoga sequences it says are helpful for different health conditions. It doesn

Newbee Contributor

It is ok. It is not the best filming and they use the same positions in many of the different sequences. I think I bought it on Amazon if I remember correctly.

tarnalberry Community Regular

As a yoga teacher myself, I'm biased, I know, but I would *highly* recommend going to a class with a decent teacher. A DVD cannot look at YOUR alignment and keep you safe. A DVD cannot get the details of what's bothering you and helping you tailor poses to your condition. Even if financial considerations mean you go to a class once or twice a month and use a DVD between times, please consider finding a class. And, finally, to see real benefit, I highly suggest practicing at least three times a week - home practice on your own is totally fine, but some practice. :)

I did look into taking a class, but there is only 1 and it is offered in the middle of my work day! I'll check again soon, maybe it will change for the next session! Thanks for the info, I would def rather take a class!

tarnalberry Community Regular

Where are you located? I might be able to help you find something. Yoga is offered in kinds of crazy places.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I'm in Northern Maine, there's only the one class in my town, unfortunately!

ebaustin Newbie

I have been seeing a yogi for private sessions and it has been enormously helpful for my aches and pains. She has taught me that body-awareness, though difficult, is an important part of healing. I notice that my mood, digestive system, pain, and body in general feel better after setting an intention for my yoga practice, working to achieve that goal, and then expressing gratitude for my body.

Home practice could be sitting on the floor in a quiet space and reflecting in a comfortable position. Try to set an intention for what you will do with your time on the ground. Sometimes words like "learn," "heal," "calm," or "listen" come to mind for me. I then stretch and move my body in any way that feels natural, noticing the pain and noticing how to alleviate the pain. If I find that my hip hurts, for example, my yogi says things like, "if your hip had a voice, what would it say?" Sometimes, "I'm angry." At other times, "I need attention." So I pay attention to the hip until it feels better. It sounds kind of silly to write it out, but I strongly believe that when I am in touch with my body, I feel better and more motivated to care for it. Taking 30-60 minutes/day to care for your body can only do good, in my opinion.

If you are someone who suffers from pain and inflammation like me, I do not recommend going outside your comfort zone when you began a yoga practice. I recommend gentle movements and meditation-based practice to start. Then move on when your body is ready!

Archived