Rate this topic

the longer I'm gluten free does the bloating get better and better, or is this how I live the rest of my life?

the longer I'm gluten free does the bloating get better and better, or is this how I live the rest of my life?

It should definitely be getting better but if you are less than 3 months on the gluten-free diet then you could try going dairy free for a few months because the damaged villi often doesn't cope well with dairy.

Our guts can become sensitive to many different foods, not just gluten. So you need to think about that possibility at some point. Generally though, you should improve if you are eating a clean, whole foods diet for 3 to 6 months. How your body responds to celiac disease may be different from mine or other peoples. It took me 4.5 years to get to felling pretty well most of the time. But many people improve faster than that.

This is what may be happening to you:

A hormone (CCK) is made in the duodenum that is sent to the gallbladder and pancreas telling them to perform their digestive duties. For the gallbladder, it means squeeze out some bile. For the pancreas it means release the digestive enzymes.

If you have damage in your duodenum, which is very common with newly DXed Celiac disease, either you aren't making the CCK, or it isn't being sent. This means your foods aren't being broken down like they should be, so they sit in your intestine and sort of ferment, causing gas..and bloating. If you have any gut dysbiosis going on (an imbalance of yeasts, bacteria, etc) it can cause bloating too.

You can talk to your Dr, about this and get testing, if you want to persue it. Most Dr.s don't seem real sympathetic to it,because it isn't life threatening, just uncomfortable. As you heal it should improve on it's own with time.

In the meantime, it's a very good idea to start taking probiotics daily and digestive enzymes too. Those additions can have you feeling more comfortable and help aid your healing. Food that gets broken down better is easier for your intestine to grab the nutrients from.

This is what may be happening to you:

A hormone (CCK) is made in the duodenum that is sent to the gallbladder and pancreas telling them to perform their digestive duties. For the gallbladder, it means squeeze out some bile. For the pancreas it means release the digestive enzymes.

If you have damage in your duodenum, which is very common with newly DXed Celiac disease, either you aren't making the CCK, or it isn't being sent. This means your foods aren't being broken down like they should be, so they sit in your intestine and sort of ferment, causing gas..and bloating. If you have any gut dysbiosis going on (an imbalance of yeasts, bacteria, etc) it can cause bloating too.

You can talk to your Dr, about this and get testing, if you want to persue it. Most Dr.s don't seem real sympathetic to it,because it isn't life threatening, just uncomfortable. As you heal it should improve on it's own with time.

In the meantime, it's a very good idea to start taking probiotics daily and digestive enzymes too. Those additions can have you feeling more comfortable and help aid your healing. Food that gets broken down better is easier for your intestine to grab the nutrients from.

Thank you, this makes sense,sounds like a good explanation. I'm doing probiotics,I'll add digestive enzymes. keep in touch