amahones

Generic Singulair

Rate this topic

The FDA recently approved a generic version of Singulair (http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm314436.htm). Singulair was gluten-free from what I understand but I'm trying to find out if the generic version that I have is.

The manufacturer is Teva and I found on their website a list of inactive ingredients:

hydroxypropyl cellulose, hypromellose, iron oxide red, iron oxide yellow, lactose monohydrate (128.6 mg), magnesium stearate, pregelatinized starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium starch glycolate, and titanium dioxide.

I've been doing some research on the ingredients here and here and while the first few ingredients seem to be safe, the sodium starch glycolate is suspect. I wasn't able to find anything about some of these ingredients.

Does anyone else use this medication without problems? I haven't been able to get in touch with the actual manufacturer (Teva) so I don't know whether this is gluten-free or not.

Thanks.

I haven't contacted the manufacturer, but my DH is anaphylactic allergic to gluten and he has had no trouble with the new generic Singulair...

I haven't contacted the manufacturer, but my DH is anaphylactic allergic to gluten and he has had no trouble with the new generic Singulair...

Wow, anaphylactic to gluten - very scary!

Do you know which brand manufactures his? I just tried contacting Teva again, to find out for sure but had to leave a voicemail again.

Okay I finally got a call back from the manufacturer. This is ONLY the answer for the version manufactured by Teva USA. The customer service rep said the starch in it is corn starch and it is gluten-free.