Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adelajoy

Am I Supposed To Get This Sick?

Okay. I know this might be a dumb question. I'm okay with that.

I know celiac is an auto-immune disorder, so does that mean my immune system will be weaker and I'm more likely to get sick?

Because, this morning when I woke up I felt totally fine. And the before lunch, I kept sneezing. And now, at two, I have an uncontrollable cough, I feel like I can't breath and my lungs feel stuffed. I've never gotten this sick this fast before, so is this a celiac thing, or a "everyone's got the flu, it's winter, and its going around" thing?

I mean, not like it changes how sick I feel or if I'm contagious, but it does change if I should go to the doctor.

Celiac patients have a very strong immune system.  It is normal for anyone to get one or more of all thebugs that are going around right now.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/does-the-phrase-over-responsive-immune-system-mean-that-a-person-with-celiac-disease-has-an-aggressive-immune-system-rather-than-a-weak-one

Does the phrase “over-responsive immune system” mean that a person with celiac disease has an aggressive immune system rather than a weak one?

Yes, so aggressive it mistakenly attacks the small intestine.