Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 17-year old daughter has just been diagnosed as celiac and we are very confused about gum and mints. This seems to be the one place I struggle with the labels.

I know that Altoids now list wheat on the label, so they are out, but she had an attack today and the only new thing in her diet was BreathSavers mints. They list Sorbitol, magnesium Stearate, and Zinc Glutonate in their ingredients. Anyone know about these three? Could one of them be the problem?

All three are gluten-free, but sorbitol can be problematic. Some people are intolerant to it. Among the rest of us, large quantities can have a laxative effect.

I know that Altoids now list wheat on the label, so they are out, but she had an attack today and the only new thing in her diet was BreathSavers mints. They list Sorbitol, magnesium Stearate, and Zinc Glutonate in their ingredients. Anyone know about these three? Could one of them be the problem?

I just checked the Altoids web site and I don't see wheat on the ingredients.  I hope they're ok, my breath has really gotten nasty since I've been gluten-free and I've been popping Altoids.    Are you seeing it on the ingredients list for the Peppermint flavor?

My 17-year old daughter has just been diagnosed as celiac and we are very confused about gum and mints. This seems to be the one place I struggle with the labels.