This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Confused And Need Help With Sons Symptoms

alicia534

alicia534 Rookie

My son is 21 months old. He has been unofficially diagnosed with Celiac Disease based on symptoms. He has been gluten free for 8 months. The one symptom that has not gone away is constipation. He goes 4-5 days between bm and when he goes it's painful for him. I cannot stand to see him like this anymore. He takes a tsp of miralax everyday. I have tried increasing the miralax, but then he gets diarrhea. I would like to figure out what is causing his problems instead of just treating the symptom.  He is allergic to dairy and peanuts. He also had an IgG blood test run when he was 8 months old. It came back positive for dairy, peanuts, eggs, strawberries, banana, and brewers yeast. After having the skin test done the allergist said we did not need to avoid anything but the dairy and nuts. His GI also said that the IgG testing does not mean anything and he can eat those foods. I am now wondering if we should avoid those foods. I have been keeping a food diary off and on for the last year, but I can't figure this out. I don't know what to do for him anymore. I need help figuring this out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Think of allergies as a "fire".  You need to calm down that fire and maybe, if your'e lucky, extinguish it.  I had I
gG testing done years ago.  Tested high for five foods, moderately for many others.  First thing is to eliminate completely all those items that were on the list.  Then divide up a list of foods that he can eat and divide them into four days (some docs suggest 7 days)

Here's a hurried example and you need to add more foods:

Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Turkey Beef Fish Pork Green Beans Broccoli Cali-flower Spinach Quinoa Potatoes Butternut Squash Rice Oranges Blueberries Melon Apples Lemons Plums Grapes Kiwi Tangerines lettuce    

When you get to the end of day 4, start over.  Hang the chart up in your kitchen, so that when you wake up, you and the rest of your family will know what day it is and what you can feed your baby.  I found that it was easier for me to start my rotation with the evening meal and that would allow me to eat items I cooked for dinner to be eat for leftovers for lunch!  This rotation will allow your baby's system to calm down.  As months go by you can introduce the foods that he was only mildly or moderately allergic to, but never consume them for several days.  Do not feed him the foods that he's most allergic to.  I am still allergic to milk, eggs, almonds, garlic and mushrooms.  I never outgrew them, but they have diminished in the capacity to make me ill.  Other foods like rice, pork, brewer's yeast.....the list is so long, I now eat, but I make sure I don't eat them daily.  

Within a year, I was much better (enough to do Triathalons).  Would even have a bit of ice cream, but only in the winter months when pollen and weed counts were low.  Your son may have allergic reactions to non-foods and those need to be addressed or minimized too.  Lucky for me, I got out of cleaning the bathroom for years for fear of mold!!!  Now I have to clean it but mold still bothers me when we have dry winds.  

Make sure your son has access to foods that are whole and full of fiber, but introduce those gradually.  If the four day rotation doesn't work, then stretch it out to seven days.   Cow's milk will constipate me while garlic will give me diarrhea -- totally different reactions!   My family pretty much followed the diet too and no one ever ate an ice cream or some other forbidden food in front of me.  Hubby and my daughter would go out for "treats".  Now, it doesn't other me, but it did in the beginning.  By the way, I felt great for 13 years until the Celiac Disease showed up probably due to stress and menopause!

Carry a little ice chest with food items when you leave home.  It's so handy!

Good luck!

cyclinglady Grand Master

Think of allergies as a "fire".  You need to calm down that fire and maybe, if your'e lucky, extinguish it.  I had I

gG testing done years ago.  Tested high for five foods, moderately for many others.  First thing is to eliminate completely all those items that were on the list.  Then divide up a list of foods that he can eat and divide them into four days (some docs suggest 7 days)

Here's a hurried example and you need to add more foods:

Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Turkey Beef Fish Pork Green Beans Broccoli Cali-flower Spinach Quinoa Potatoes Butternut Squash Rice Oranges Blueberries Melon Apples Lemons Plums Grapes Kiwi Tangerines lettuce    

When you get to the end of day 4, start over.  Hang the chart up in your kitchen, so that when you wake up, you and the rest of your family will know what day it is and what you can feed your baby.  I found that it was easier for me to start my rotation with the evening meal and that would allow me to eat items I cooked for dinner to be eat for leftovers for lunch!  This rotation will allow your baby's system to calm down.  As months go by you can introduce the foods that he was only mildly or moderately allergic to, but never consume them for several days.  Do not feed him the foods that he's most allergic to.  I am still allergic to milk, eggs, almonds, garlic and mushrooms.  I never outgrew them, but they have diminished in the capacity to make me ill.  Other foods like rice, pork, brewer's yeast.....the list is so long, I now eat, but I make sure I don't eat them daily.  

Within a year, I was much better (enough to do Triathalons).  Would even have a bit of ice cream, but only in the winter months when pollen and weed counts were low.  Your son may have allergic reactions to non-foods and those need to be addressed or minimized too.  Lucky for me, I got out of cleaning the bathroom for years for fear of mold!!!  Now I have to clean it but mold still bothers me when we have dry winds.  

Make sure your son has access to foods that are whole and full of fiber, but introduce those gradually.  If the four day rotation doesn't work, then stretch it out to seven days.   Cow's milk will constipate me while garlic will give me diarrhea -- totally different reactions!   My family pretty much followed the diet too and no one ever ate an ice cream or some other forbidden food in front of me.  Hubby and my daughter would go out for "treats".  Now, it doesn't other me, but it did in the beginning.  By the way, I felt great for 13 years until the Celiac Disease showed up probably due to stress and menopause!

Carry a little ice chest with food items when you leave home.  It's so handy!

Good luck!

Ugh!  My nice chart imported from Excel didn't take.  But I think you'll get the idea.

Archived